Question

Student
scocarschi
Message 1 of 10 (13,956 Views)
Accepted Solution

Scanning problem with HP Deskjet 3050A - only scans about a quarter of the page

My HP Deskjet 3050A wirelessly prints just fine with my Mac Lion OS 10.7.3. But whenever I scan something, the resulting scan captures only about a quarter of the page, which is blown up in size to take up the entire page. (And I'm scanning regular 8"x11" documents.) And I can't zoom in to get the whole page. When I try to change the setting in Utility from jpg to pdf, to see if that will solve the problem, the Utility quits "unexpectedly" every time.

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 10 (13,922 Views)

Re: Scanning problem with HP Deskjet 3050A - only scans about a quarter of the page

Hi,
First, install the Critical Update below:
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL41827/mp-101648-1/HP_Scan_for_Mac_OS_X_10.7_Update.dmg

Now change the device settings as following:
1. Open the HP Utility and select your device.
2. From Scan Settings open the "Scan to Computer".
3. Click the "Scan Tasks" tab.
4. Select the Scan Shortcut used to scan, then click Edit.
5. In the section of Scan from an HP Device click on the blue triangle to enlarge the menu.
6. From the enlarged menu now open the drop-down menu next to Crop To and set as None.
7. Click OK and try scanning.

Regards,
Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Student
Anne44
Message 3 of 10 (13,537 Views)

Re: Scanning problem with HP Deskjet 3050A - only scans about a quarter of the page

I have the same problem with it scanning only a portion of the page. I followed the steps you gave but it will not let me select the "Scan Shortcut" option.

Student
JohnDevizes
Message 4 of 10 (13,510 Views)

I have exactly the same problem as Anne44.

Can anyone help please

Top Student
tazzmeyer
Message 5 of 10 (13,349 Views)

I had this same issue and was temporarily able to the scan images correctly prior to reading this post by going through the Applications folders and clicking on the Scan 3 icon and directing the scan from this. However, now the scanner doesn't communicate at all with my Mac OSX 10.6.8 - I can't even get it to scan from the control panel on the product. The printer works fine - although I haven't checked it since doing the following:

I have uninstalled the software and reinstalled. I have checked for updates and it is indicating that I have updated software, yet when I click on HP Utility, I get the following error msg:

Some components installed on your computer were developed for another version of HP Utility. These components will not be loaded and some functionality related to your device will not be accessible. Please click HP Support item on the toolbar to visit HP Online Support site and download the latest versions of HP software.

I did but I keep getting the msg that my software is up to date.

I have noticed that there are 2 scan icons in the Applications folder and one of them doesn't register the product at all when clicked. The Scan 3 icon used to work, but now just perpetually tries to open a connection with the printer and never can, when I try to cancel it,it then goes into perpetual canceling mode and the only way I can shut it down is to Force Quit.

I'm posting this here because I originally had this same problem and then it escalated. I will also open another thread.

Honor Student
cheekie_chickie
Message 6 of 10 (12,872 Views)

I've just followed these steps and they fixed the problem!!!  Thanks so much :smileyhappy:

Top Student
withane
Message 7 of 10 (11,962 Views)

I also have this problem using mac osx 10.5. I know it's old but I like it! Can I get this problem resolved please? Thanks

Top Student
withane
Message 8 of 10 (11,934 Views)

Can anybody help me with this problem please? I use Mac OSX 10.5.8 Thanks

Student
tucsonwilly0
Message 9 of 10 (11,182 Views)

It worked for me but I had to hunt around a little bit for the Crop to.

Thanks!!
Honor Student
pancakekiller
Message 10 of 10 (9,530 Views)

Hi

I just recently brought a HP Desk Jet 3050A. I use a Mac which runs on the 10.7 . I  have set it up, downloaded the software e.t.c and it works well wirelessly for printing.

But i have tried the scanning option and it just doesn't work. On the HP utility I clicked the Scan to computer Settings, the enable to scan box is ticked but the status message states ' Communication Error' Check Cables and connection settings, if problem persists try restarting your computer'. 

I have downloaded the link you provided for the scan update but when i click on it it states I already have the latest downloaded version. 

The thing is yesterday my computer worked well wirelessly printing but today morning the e-Print via email would work but the wireless print from my laptop wouldnt. So i reconfigured and now the wireless is working. But the Scan still isnt! 

It's so frustrating, I was told it was easy to set up but .... my experiences state otherwise! Please help!!!! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation