Setting printer password on wireless printer (13778 Views)
Honor Student
lutzke21
Message 1 of 9 (13,778 Views)

Setting printer password on wireless printer

Just finished setting up my new HP Officejet J6450 with wireless and connecting all my computers (minus my HTC Touch Pro...soon maybe).

My issue is that I'd like to set a password on the printer to keep kids from wearing out my cartidges.  Since it is "wireless" and not a shared printer connected directly to any computer, I don't know where to start with this.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 2 of 9 (13,774 Views)

Re: Setting printer password on wireless printer

Are you trying to limit the printer to being accessed from just one computer or are you trying to set a schedule when the printer can be accessed in general?

Are all the computers in your home connected wirelessly?

Is it insufficient to just not load the printer drivers on the kid's computers?

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
lutzke21
Message 3 of 9 (13,763 Views)

[ Edited ]

Are you trying to limit the printer to being accessed from just one computer or are you trying to set a schedule when the printer can be accessed in general?

- Niether, I'd like a "enter password" pop-up prior to the print job being sent to the printer.

Are all the computers in your home connected wirelessly?

- Yes

Is it insufficient to just not load the printer drivers on the kid's computers?

- The computers that the kids use are used by us all, (livingroom, kitchen, etc) not necessarily a "child only" computer

I appreciate your help, and quick response!

Message Edited by lutzke21 on 02-08-2009 09:36 AM
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 4 of 9 (13,758 Views)

i dont think that will be possible...
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 5 of 9 (13,748 Views)

If you're running Vista, it appears you could create a separate "kids" account that removes permission to print.  Right-click on the printer icon, select properties and then security and from here you can set account level access to the printer.

This means that you would have to logout when you're not using the computer ... which may be more hassle than you want.

I'll keep looking around to see what can be done.  If you look on the web, you're not the first person to ask for this feature.

BTW -- what type of computers are running on your network?  And if you don't mind me asking, what kind of wireless-router do you have and what kind of wireless security are you using? 

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
lutzke21
Message 6 of 9 (13,737 Views)

If you're running Vista, it appears you could create a separate "kids" account that removes permission to print.  Right-click on the printer icon, select properties and then security and from here you can set account level access to the printer.

This means that you would have to logout when you're not using the computer ... which may be more hassle than you want.

-Thought about doing just that, but it is more of a hassle, and I'd want to "authorize" certain print jobs (i.e. those that relate to school work) by just going in and typing in the password to allow the job.

I'll keep looking around to see what can be done.  If you look on the web, you're not the first person to ask for this feature.

-I've noticed, thought there'd be something already out there for this.  I do appreciate your time.

BTW -- what type of computers are running on your network?  And if you don't mind me asking, what kind of wireless-router do you have and what kind of wireless security are you using? 

-2 x desktop w/XP (1 HP, 1 Compaq), 1 x laptop w/XP (Gateway), 1 x laptop w/Vista (HP).  Linksys WRT54G v4, WPA2-P, TKIP+AES.

Student
caronoda
Message 7 of 9 (9,253 Views)

Tried to enter passphrase in the menue screen, but could not enter numbers. Only could enter letters. I have a hp officejet 4500 wireless. I would certainly appreciate your help.
Student
balkan
Message 8 of 9 (1,747 Views)

[ Edited ]

I can't figure out how to connect my printer, I have a HP Photosmart C6150 to my computer I recently changed my router password and interent password....please help

Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 9 of 9 (1,734 Views)

Replacing your wireless router now here.

http://www.hp.com/global/au/en/wireless/reconfiguring-system-help3.html

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the left in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I worked for HP but now I'm retired!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation