Question

Honor Student
jenniferblythe
Message 1 of 4 (905 Views)
Accepted Solution

Setting up HP Officejet 6500A; not sure how to connect to web w/ home wireless network

I have a small home wireless network.  I set the printer up today but it says that I must connect to the internet (fax part is working).  The only desktop I have, I keep off most the time and just use my laptop (which is for work so I can't set the printer up to this).

Is there a way to connect the printer directly to my router?  They are only a few feet from one another; however, I have no clue how to do it and the instructions manual didn't tell me much.  Do I need a phone line?  What would I use to connect the two?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 4 (885 Views)

Re: Setting up HP Officejet 6500A; not sure how to connect to web w/ home wireless network

Use an Ethernet cable, available in any tech store, online or even Target will have them.

Plug it into the back of the printer and router.  You should be able to add the printer to your laptop.  Let me know what operating system you have and I can help.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
jenniferblythe
Message 3 of 4 (878 Views)

Re: Setting up HP Officejet 6500A; not sure how to connect to web w/ home wireless network

I got the ethernet  cord from Office Depot and connected it to my router.  It is saying "The printer was unable to connect to the server".

I just connected the cord from back of printer to back of router.  Powercycled.  Is there anything else I am supposed to do.  What is the 'proxy server' it talking about?

Honor Student
jenniferblythe
Message 4 of 4 (877 Views)

Nevermind it worked.  THANK YOU SO MUCH :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation