Shared printer won't stay shared (701 Views)
Tutor
suvabe
Message 1 of 7 (701 Views)
Accepted Solution

Shared printer won't stay shared

After some issues on my mothers pc I had to reinstall the printer drivers of her LaserJet 6L. For some reason when I try to share that printer it will not stay shared.

She runs Windos XP. When I right click the printer and click 'share' I get the menu you also get when you click properties, there I select the Share tab and share the printer. After I confirmed my choice the machine shows an hourglass. When that's gone I click ok and the menu closes. The hand does not appear underneath the printer to indicate that it's shared. When I try to search for a shared printer to add it to the home network it does not show and when I reopen the menu the shared option is no longer on. I do not get any error messages.

Any suggestions what I can do besides uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers? I already did that.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 7 (669 Views)

Re: Shared printer won't stay shared

If you are sharing it from her PC, then I suggest that you use the system file checker utility. Go to an elevated command prompt and type sfc /scannow. Let it run and check all system files. It will replace those it finds to be corrupt or damaged. Most original XP installations do have some system file issues. That is what is quite likely to be causing the problem you are facing.

You might need to find an XP installation disc if the system file checker complains that it cannot find a source for the files that it needs to replace the corrupt ones.

That is a venerable old HP LaserJet 6L printer. I have one of them in the upper floor of my garage. It still works!

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
suvabe
Message 3 of 7 (660 Views)

Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately the system check did not fix my problem. I think the problem lies with the computer and not with your answer though. During the scan the pc kept asking for the Windows cd even though the cd was in the player.

Tutor
suvabe
Message 4 of 7 (654 Views)

A short update. Mum got some paper stuck in the printer so it needs to get fixed 1st.
I unistalled the drivers I got from the website and am now using the ones that Windows installes. Now I get an error message. I haven;t checked the forums yet to see if there's any other posts about it. It's in Dutch but it more or less translates into:
Cannot save printersettings. Cannot complete change.
Provost
erico
Message 5 of 7 (645 Views)

On theWindows XP PC that you are running SFC on, go to: My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > "uncheck" Hide protected operating system files.

In most cases, but not all, that should take care of the need to provide source files.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
suvabe
Message 6 of 7 (634 Views)

Unfortunately that didn't change anything. 

Tutor
suvabe
Message 7 of 7 (620 Views)

I fixed the error message. It was quite simple:. This is the solution I found:

Click Start, then Run, then type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and hit Enter. You'll then see the list of aaallll the local services your computer runs. Scroll down to the one called "Server" and, at least for me, the "Status" column was blank and the "Startup type" column said "Manual". If this is the case for you too, simply right-click on "Server" and click "Properties" from the drop-down box. Then change "Startup type" to "Automatic", click "Start" under "Service status" then click OKAY! Good to go.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation