Sharing HP PSC 750 on network. (2627 Views)
Student
rdcray
Message 1 of 4 (2,627 Views)

Sharing HP PSC 750 on network.

I have a HP PSC 750 which is connected via USB to a desktop computer running XP OS.  This computer is connected to a home network system to which I have other wireless computers connected.  I have shared this printer for use on the home network.  I am trying to install the printer as a network printer on my laptop which is running Windows 7 - 64 bit. 

I am able to connect the laptop automatically to the printer if I plug the USB directly to the laptop. However, when I try to connect via the home network, I can "see" the printer on the network, but the wizard will not find a suitable driver for it.  I have looked for a driver on HP download site, but only am referred to Windows Update in the instructions.  Obviously I have a driver on my laptop or the printer wold not connect when hardwired to the laptop.  How can I complete this shared connection and/or locate the driver for the printer?

Student
pipt91
Message 2 of 4 (2,606 Views)

Re: Sharing HP PSC 750 on network.

[ Edited ]

hi there.

i'm having the exact same problem, both my laptop and desktop have the same specs as you. even more annoying is the fact i have just got a  HP laptop(you'd think  it being the same brand would mean some built in drivers that would allow my laptop to connect.. oh no i dont think so!!), which as you said will work with the psc 750 when plugged directly in via usb but will not find the driver when trying to connect throguh the network!!

i can't seem to find where the driver is located on my laptop, if i could i'd just get it to look for that when trying to connect to the printer via network.

sorry this wasn't any help but i thought i'd let you know that you aren't the only one experiencing the problem. i just hope someone comes up with a response soon!

Honor Student
eeevans
Message 3 of 4 (2,296 Views)

My mom had this same situation at her house.  I was able to fix it by going to Printer Properties->Advanced on the XP machine and selecting the driver dropdown and changing it from HP PSC 700 series driver to HP PSC 750.  Then when adding the printer on the Windows 7 machine as a network printer, it was able to find the correct driver.

Hope that helps,

eeevans

Honor Student
granwan
Message 4 of 4 (2,024 Views)

Thanks eeevans!  Your solution worked for me too!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation