Question

Top Student
RGReinhart
Message 1 of 14 (305 Views)

Since auto update 7520 cannot start web services

Since downloading a product update my 7520 can no longer find web services.  When I try to start them, I get a message that I am not connected to the internet.  But a wireless test report show that I am.  I've also discovered that I cannot access web configuartion settings that require an https connection.  I get a message page not found.  So, solutions already posted that suggest chaning the rpinter's IP are unavailable to me.  Printer works fine.  Before the update web services connected but couldn't run apps.  Scanner from the computer has not worked yet, and I'm assuming there's something on my laptop that's getting in the way here.

Any ideas?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 14 (297 Views)

Re: Since auto update 7520 cannot start web services

This is likely a DNS issue.  Let's set an external DNS for the printer (and a static IP while we are at it).

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you do not know the range, change the last set of numbers (those after the last '.') to 250
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS. This is Google DNS. You can choose another external DNS if you wish.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
RGReinhart
Message 3 of 14 (279 Views)

Grateful for your response. My choices when I click on the Network tab are wireless status, wireless setup, and advanced. Advanced redirects me to a https connection, and I get a message that the page is not available. Looking into the details, the message is err_connection_refused. This is true for any of the other functions that redirect from this page. I have no other issues with https connections.

Do I have other options?
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 14 (273 Views)

Try wireless status.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
RGReinhart
Message 5 of 14 (249 Views)

Wireless status gives me no options to make changes.  I can display the IPv4 info, which I copy below.

IPv4 Domain Name earthlink.net Configured By DHCP IP Address 192.168.1.111 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway 192.168.1.1 DNSv4   Configured By DHCP Preferred DNS Address 192.168.1.10 Alternate DNS Address 207.69.188.185 WINS   Configured By DHCP Primary WINS Server 0.0.0.0 Secondary WINS Server 0.0.0.0

It seems I need to establish a secure http connection to make changes, but the printer (I guess) is rejecting secure connections.  Could it be a router setting I need to change to get to the printer with an https connection?  Do I have any other way to change those setting?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 14 (244 Views)

I found a 7510, which is a very similar product and this is how I got to the page:

Network > Networking > Network Address (IP).

Yours should be similar.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
RGReinhart
Message 7 of 14 (230 Views)

It was looking so good.  Finding the Network tab on the left (so often it's just reading that's the problem) enabled me to manually set the IP address (and I successfully updated the software on the laptop).

But even though the Network test results say I'm connected to the internet, I still get an error Unable to connectto Web Services.  I double check the DNS addresses - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

So.  Now what can I do?

Bob Reinhart

(Can't tell you how grateful I am that you are sticking with me).

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 14 (220 Views)

What router are you using?  Have you restarted it by pulling its power plug momentarily?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
RGReinhart
Message 9 of 14 (215 Views)

A linksys wrt54g. The order I followed
1) changed the ip and dns configuration
2) unplugged the printer
3) unplugged the router, waited for about 30 seconds, plugged it in and waited for it to finish setting up
4) plugged the printer back in

Thanks!
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 14 (205 Views)

That is a pretty ancient router.  I assume it still does not work?

You could set your router DNS to the same as the printer (it is probably using your ISP's DNS right now).

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation