Question

Top Student
Lionika
Message 1 of 10 (9,767 Views)

Spooling taking WAY to long

Sorry, I forgot to ask about the spooling process taking so long?  Is this a computer problem or a printer problem.  I have a Toshiba laptop and the HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 10 (9,755 Views)

Re: Spooling taking WAY to long

Spooler is part of the Operating System. Thus it is a computer problem. Sometimes, firewall software on your computer will block the connection from the spooler to the printer, thus causing such issues. May I know which firewall program and which OS you're using?

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
Lionika
Message 3 of 10 (9,749 Views)

I am still on Windows xp and I have Norton's.  I hope this is what you wanted to know.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 4 of 10 (9,730 Views)

Follow THIS document to add the HP programs and ports into the firewall exception list. Also add 'spoolsv.exe' which is found under C:\Windows\System32 into the exception list also.

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Tutor
pwg95
Message 5 of 10 (9,549 Views)

Can you give me any suggestions? I've been using the HP 8500 Pro Wireless for 8-9 months now, had some earlier issues with Vista (kept printing more copies than I set it for) but then upgraded to Windows 7 a couple of months ago and have had no problem at all since. But suddenly yesterday, when I tried to send a document to the printer, it did nothing and the printer box said "spooling" for a minute or so, then changed to "printer busy or error." I haven't changed anything since the last time it worked, other than possibly uninstalling a second spyware program I'd had. I even tried doing a system restore and it came back as unsuccessful. I'm using ZoneAlarm firewall but have been all along. Ran a network check on the printer and it said all was fine. Even tried changing from "spool" to "print directly to printer" but that made Word freeze up.

I desperately need my printer to work -- so any help is much appreciated!!

Tutor
pwg95
Message 6 of 10 (9,548 Views)

(Forgot to click "email me" with replies, so this is just a follow-up to make sure I know when/if there's a response. Thanks!)

Student
reggiegnasher
Message 7 of 10 (9,354 Views)

I noted the comments regarding spooling problems with HP 8500 - I have been doing ok with my new printer for the past four or so months, in fact congratulating myself on getting rid of L7500,  but this past week, the printer is taking way too long to run off documents/photographs from either my XP home desktop or my Vista Toshiba laptop.  If working on the desktop through a hosted network system which I often do, the hosted system crashes whilst the printer thinks about printing.  I have checked the printer through the control panel and the documents are listed.  It means that I cant queue items for printing because that causes the system to crash too.  I have AVAST on the XP (having changed from AVG which was causing lots of other problems, and which has been working ok up to now including stopping Trojan)  and Sophos on the Vista, which does run slightly better and at least doesnt crash.  I am not incredibly computer literate so if any help can be provided for fixes without too much intellectual details, this would be gratefully received.

Honor Student
RVRobinson
Message 8 of 10 (8,128 Views)

I am having the same situation and the link that was included in the post is no longer active.  I have an HP laptop with Windows Vista and Norton 360.  Please assist.

Honor Student
RVRobinson
Message 9 of 10 (7,837 Views)

I am having the same issue and I have an HP Pavilion 9810us Notebook.  Im running Windows Vista and I have an Epson Printer.  Your link is no longer active.  Please assist.

Honor Student
RVRobinson
Message 10 of 10 (7,835 Views)

I am having the same issue and I have an HP Pavilion 9810us Notebook. Im running Windows Vista and I have an Epson Printer. Your link is no longer active. Please assist.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation