Suddenly cannot print wirelessly (3388 Views)
Tutor
laura176
Message 1 of 23 (3,388 Views)

Suddenly cannot print wirelessly

I have an HP Officejet J4680 All-in-One, and have been printing wirelessly from my Macintosh (OS 10.5.7) since I purchased the printer in December 2008.  Yesterday, I suddenly wasn't able to print wirelessly.  I tried all of the troubleshooting suggestions I could find in the printer manual and on this forum, and uninstalled the printer and reinstalled several times.  I can get to the point in the HP Setup Assistant in which the network configuration has been successfully downloaded to the printer (I see an IP address, Subnet Mask, etc.), but then I get an error message of "Device Not Reachable . . . please make sure that your Mac has access to the network and retry."  My Mac does have access to the network because I can get on the internet wirelessly.

I was on the phone to HP tech support for an hour this morning . . . we tried everything--entering the IP address manually, etc.--but couldn't get it to work.  It's as if the printer is on the network, and the computer is on the same network, but they somehow can't talk to each other.  The HP tech support thought that it must be a problem with either my Mac or the router.  Well, I also have a desktop PC that is normally connected to the printer by USB . . . I tried connecting wirelessly through Network Setup.  I get the message "Search complete, printer not found. The printer could not be found using the wireless settings you entered." I printed the test page, and it said "No problems found. Congratulations on the successful setup of your wireless printer."

So then I figured the problem must be the router (an Actiontec M1000/W1000 from Qwest), so I call Qwest technical support. We reset the router, but still no luck . . . the rep thought the problem was not the router but the printer (in contrast to the HP rep).

Any ideas as to why wireless printing would suddenly stop working?  Please help . . . this problem is driving me up the wall!  Thanks! 

Student
scolt2001
Message 2 of 23 (3,350 Views)

Re: Suddenly cannot print wirelessly

I can't help you but I have had the same problem.  The printer just stops communicating with the computer.  The computer will show that the info. is being sent, but then it says the print job had an error.  I went through hours(!)  on the phone trying to get it fixed.  FINALLY, got it working again, but guess what??  It's happening again.  It's really frustrating, and calling HP and going through the process again is not a way I want to use my time!!!  It is not the router, it's the prinnter!!!!  Someone help!!!
Tutor
laura176
Message 3 of 23 (3,299 Views)

How frustrating that you got it fixed, only to have it happen again!  Do you remember what you did to fix it (at least temporarily)?  I spent another hour-plus on the phone with tech support on Friday (until the battery on my cordless phone went dead!), to no avail!  I'm about ready to give up and buy a non-HP printer--this one has been nothing but trouble with paper jams, error messages, etc., and now no wireless.
Honor Student
Brock_K
Message 4 of 23 (3,294 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have an HP J6480.  I've experienced the same problems with sudden inability to print/connect to the printer.  For me, the only repeatable problem I was having prior to the issue is the paper jam issue which occured only on the thicker Premium Photo paper stock and when selecting BEST quality prints.  Regular paper worked fine and I had some luck with NORMAL quality.  It's got to be an issue with the driver, otherwise this makes no sense that this issue is happening to users around the same time period.

Oh, and about 5 hours later I still can't print... so my time wasted is already more than the printer is worth!

Message Edited by Brock_K on 07-05-2009 08:28 PM
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 5 of 23 (3,281 Views)

It sounds if as though there are a couple of themes here.

For laura176:  are you able to browse the printer's internal web page from your Mac?  For Mac people, open Safari, select Booksmarks, then select Show All Bookmarks and finally select Bonjour from the left-hand side.  Is you printer listed on the right?  If you see the printer listed, double click on it and see if the printer's internal web page appears.

If it does, then we know the connection between the Mac and the printer is working. 

If not, have you tried connecting the J4680 to your wireless-network from the printer's front-panel wireless-wizard?  Press the printer's setup button, then select Network and then Wireless Setup Wizard and follow the prompts.

Finally, check that the radio's blue LED is on (lower left hand corner of the printer).  If it's off, turn it on from the printer's Network menu.  Once it's on, let's check the radio:

1. Press and release the * and # keys together.
  2. Enter the code 1, 2, 3.
  3. Press the right arrow key until you see the Connectivity Diagnostics Menu.
  4. Press OK twice.

Towards the bottom of the report, you'll see a section labeled Undirected Scan.  Tell me the names, channels and RSSI (received signal strength) of the networks detected.  Then tell me the name, channel and signal strength of your network under the section labeled Directed Scan. 

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Tutor
laura176
Message 6 of 23 (3,275 Views)

Hi Jim,

Thanks so much for your reply. In answer to your questions:

Are you able to browse the printer's internal web page from your Mac?  For Mac people, open Safari, select Booksmarks, then select Show All Bookmarks and finally select Bonjour from the left-hand side.  Is you printer listed on the right?  If you see the printer listed, double click on it and see if the printer's internal web page appears.

No, my printer is not listed in Bonjour. However, when I enter http:// followed by the IP address in my browser, the printer's internal web page does come up. 

If not, have you tried connecting the J4680 to your wireless-network from the printer's front-panel wireless-wizard?

Yes, and I get the message, "Success. Connected to the network," but it still won't print wirelessly.

Towards the bottom of the report, you'll see a section labeled Undirected Scan.  Tell me the names, channels and RSSI (received signal strength) of the networks detected.  Then tell me the name, channel and signal strength of your network under the section labeled Directed Scan.  

Networks detected in UnDirected Scan:

myqwest6597 (this is my network), Channel 6, RSSI -27

Denver, Channel 6, RSSI -64

ACTIONTEC, Channel 9, RSSI -81

hilltop, Channel 9, RSSI -81 

Network detected in Directed Scan:

myqwest6597, Channel 6, RSSI -28 

Thanks again for your time!

Laura 

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 7 of 23 (3,265 Views)

OK, good -- the radio is working and the printer is on the network.

It's a bother that mDNS (aka Bonjour) isn't working to discover the printer on your Mac.  I don't have a J4680 in front of me at the moment so I would like you to check the mDNS section of the printer's internal web page and see if there is a choice to disable mDNS (the setting should be under the Networking tab).

If that's not it, try resetting your Mac printing system (see this link http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1341 for info on this).  Be careful about this step -- it will remove all the installed printers on your Mac !

Now open the Print &  Fax applet under System Preferences and press the [+] button to manually add a printer.  Does the J4680 appear in the selection list?  If it does, you should cancel and do a normal SW installation for the printer.

Though I don't think it matters, for your environment I would recommend changing to Wi-Fi channel 1 (your neighbors on channel 9 are jamming you).

Quick aside:  The only non-overlapping channels in North America are 1, 6 and 11.  Try to select a channel that is five away from your strongest neighbor.  If that is not possible, it's better to share a channel than to pick something in-between.  In an ideal world, everyone's wireless-router should only use channels 1, 6 or 11.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Tutor
laura176
Message 8 of 23 (3,242 Views)

Check the mDNS section of the printer's internal web page and see if there is a choice to disable mDNS (the setting should be under the Networking tab).

I did not see that choice in the mDNS section.

If that's not it, try resetting your Mac printing system (see this link http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1341 for info on this).  

Now open the Print &  Fax applet under System Preferences and press the [+] button to manually add a printer.  Does the J4680 appear in the selection list?  

No, still nothing showing up. 

Though I don't think it matters, for your environment I would recommend changing to Wi-Fi channel 1 (your neighbors on channel 9 are jamming you).

How do I change Wi-Fi channels?

I forgot to mention that I also have a desktop PC that is connected by USB to the printer.  To determine if it's a Mac-related problem, I tried setting up the PC to print wirelessly, but it couldn't find the network.  When I called tech support on Friday, a PC tech troubleshooted with me for an hour, but he couldn't figure out what was wrong, either.  So, it doesn't seem to be a problem that's specific to my Mac, since neither of my computers are able to print wirelessly.

Thanks,

Laura 

Honor Student
flyingfish182
Message 9 of 23 (3,230 Views)

Sounds like you received good advice.  I have experienced the same thing with my 6480 suddenly losing it's network connection to my HP Desktop.  What I finally discovered was that some how the IP address was different in my Network Connections.  How it got changed I don't know.  When I manually entered the one I found on the J6480 Printer Test Page, everything was fine.

Tutor
laura176
Message 10 of 23 (3,196 Views)

Hi Jim,

I was just wondering if you had any other ideas/suggestions.  I really need the ability to print wirelessly for my home business, so if I can't get this working within a couple more days, I'm going to have no choice but to get another printer.

Thanks again for your help thus far,

Laura 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation