The Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable....printer "unseen" (11728 Views)
Top Student
MrBert42
Message 1 of 8 (11,728 Views)
Accepted Solution

The Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable....printer "unseen"

I Have a Windows 7 on an Acer Aspire 5742 laptop and an HP LaserjetP1102w. There are two wireless laptops in the household. I am trying to print from Microsoft Word Starter, but it states "No Printers Installed" and if I try to add a printer I get  the message: The Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable.

I can print Self Test/Device configuration sheets (on this the iPv4 reads as 0.0.0.0.), a printer test page and a test print from the HP Print and Scan Doctor.  It is the network  which is not reading the printer.

I have disabled my firewall, un- and re-installed the printer.  I have also tried to uninstall and reinstall the printer using the Window 7 installer utility. but that tells this printer "is not currently supported by this Wizard"

I have searched the web for people with the same problem but found nothing that has helped me.  Not to put too fine a point on it I am at my wit's end.

You are my last resort (no pressure, then!)

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 2 of 8 (11,706 Views)

Re: The Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable....printer "unseen"

Are the configuration reports with the 0.0.0.0 being printed directly from the printer?  A 0.0.0.0 address indicates the printer is not actually on the network (or at least not getting DHCP information from the router).  The Print and Scan Doctor should not have been able to print to it unless it happened to be connected by a USB cable as well.

What brand and model is the router?

Is the wireless light a solid blue light or a flashing blue light?

You mentioned an Active Directory Domain Services error message.  Outside of corporate networks, this is not an error message you should get.  I suspect there might be a deeper software issue at fault.  Please provide the exact steps you are using to add the printer to generate that error message.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Top Student
MrBert42
Message 3 of 8 (11,686 Views)

Re: The Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable....printer "unseen"

I solved it, but thanks for your time and suggestions.  In case you see the problem again from anyone else, it is COMODO Defense + which is causing the problem,  Turning off COMODO's firewall does not solve the problem, but temporarily disabling the Defense + part of the program does the trick. 

Can't believe it was so hard to solve, with such a simple solution.

Thanks again.  I appreciate your help.

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 4 of 8 (11,669 Views)

That is good to know.  Glad it is all working for you now.

Thanks for letting the community know what resolved it for you.  :smileyhappy:

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
superbanker
Message 5 of 8 (9,871 Views)

I have the same problem, I think.  "Find printer" results in the "Active directory domain services unavailable" response.  I do not understand the firewall comment.  My problem started after I changed from time warner to WOW.  They removed by router because one is included in their box.  I have a cable from their box/router to my printer and a cable from my computer to the box/router.  This is as it was before.  I have reinstalled the driver and rebooted to no avail.

Help

Distinguished Professor
sabretooth04
Message 6 of 8 (9,865 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is a little off the subject but those combo units, modem and router, are notoriously terrible units.  Have your ISP put that unit in Bridge mode and connect your router back.  Now you have control over your network and can make changes and firmware upgrades.  Just a thought.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I used to work for HP, but now I'm retired.
Honor Student
superbanker
Message 7 of 8 (9,856 Views)

I will ask them to do that and see how that affects the problem. Thanks.
Honor Student
superbanker
Message 8 of 8 (9,842 Views)

I found that the new router resulted in multiple networks.  I uninstalled the printer drivers and reinstalled them.  I also went through a process for the  printer to find/identify the network.  This involved connecting the printer directly to the computer via USB port.  The result is all of the units now have a new URL.  I also ended up changing the password on my home network and re-pointing another computer to find the renamed network printer.  It all appears to be working now, but this is NOT how I intended to spend New Years Day.

I will still talk to the ISP about using their box as a bridge and restoring my router.

Thanks for your efforts to assist.

Happy New Year

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation