Trouble installing Deskjet 5850 Wireless Printer on home network (1566 Views)
Top Student
jborchel
Message 1 of 8 (1,566 Views)

Trouble installing Deskjet 5850 Wireless Printer on home network

When I print the Network Configuration Page it shows I am 192.168.0.101. However, it shows my DNS Gateway as 192.168.0.1. That is my other router that is currently turned off. My current router is 192.168.1.1. How do I change the DNS address in the printer?

Complicating this is the fact that previously I went in through the other router and changed the SSID to this new router but not the address. Seems like I'm in trouble because my old router probably can't see it now either.

Help!

Jack

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 8 (1,565 Views)

Re: Trouble installing Deskjet 5850 Wireless Printer on home network

Can you get to the printer's internal page by navigating to its IP address?  If so, choose the Networking Tab, 802.11 settings and IPv4 settings, choose Manual IP.

Need more help? 

I am employed by HP
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 3 of 8 (1,551 Views)

Interesting.  If you power cycle the printer you ought to pick up the new router's gateway and DNS IP addresses.

Maybe you've set a static IP addresses for your gateway and DNS?  If you have, you can change this via PrintDoc's method. 

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Top Student
jborchel
Message 4 of 8 (1,549 Views)

PrintDoc,

Thanks for the reply. The problem is that when I was there last(printer's internal page) I reset the SSID to the new router but didn't reset the DNS Server to the new router location(192.168.1.1). The printer is set to DNS Server 192.168.0.1. So the matrix looks like this:

Printer:    SSID = Jackson   DNS Server = 192.168.0.1

Old Router-- SSID = Jackson1   Default Gateway = 192.168.0.1

New Router--SSID = Jackson     Default Gateway = 192.168.1.1

It's like the old "deadly embrace" that programs could sometimes have. I can't get there from either router at my level of knowledge. But that's the old days. Maybe today there is a way to solve it. Hopefully you know how. 

Jack

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 5 of 8 (1,546 Views)

Are you saying you no longer can access the printer's internal web page?  Not sure why, the printer's gateway shouldn't get in your way.

You can always access the printer's internal web page via a direct LAN cable connection.  Connect a LAN cable between the printer and your computer.  Print out Deskjet's network configuration and browse to the internal web page via the new IP printer IP address.  Go to the wireless section and update the IP addresses as needed.

( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Top Student
jborchel
Message 6 of 8 (1,529 Views)

Wi-Fi Guy,

I hooked the printer directly to the laptop via a LAN cable. I then printer out the Net Config Page. It showed:

URL: 192.168.101

Hardware address: 00306ED1D2A7

Host Name: NPID1D2A7

IP Address: 192.168.0.101

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Config Source: Manual

DNS Server: 192.168.0.1

mDNS Service: deskjet 5800 ( 00306ED1D2A7)

Link Config: 100TX-Full

Wireless Status: Disabled

Comm. Mode: Infrastructure

Network Name (SSID): JACKSON

Authentication Type: Open System

WPA: Disabled

-------------------------

Total Packets Transmitted: 11

Total Packets Received: 98

Bad Packets: 0

The LAN light was lit at the connecting point on the back and the LAN emblem on the front was lit. When the emblem lights up this shows a communicating connection, right?

I then typed in http://192.168.0.101 and it said "Connecting to....101" This was replaced by some other tries that I cannot remember. I thought it was going to connect but then it timed out and the connection failed. I tried it with my laptop wireless mode enabled and disabled. Timeouts both ways.

So it seems that the hardware is hand shaking but the software isn't. Correct.

See anything?

Jack

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 7 of 8 (1,525 Views)

I'd suggest starting over.  Reset the printer to factory defaults:

1. Verify that the printer is powered on.

2. Press and hold down the Power button.

3. While holding down the Power button, press the Cancel button six times.

4. Release the Power button.

You should not have to re-install any software, but you may need to delete and re-add the printer in Control Panel, Printers... 

I am employed by HP
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 8 of 8 (1,523 Views)

It looks like you're running a static IP address on the LAN interface as well.  You can reset the printer as PrintDoc described, which will allow you to connect directly to the Deskjet's internal web page.  You can tell the reset worked if the printer has an automatic IP address (169.254.x.y).

Once you have access, you can run the Deskjet's web based wireless setup wizard to get the printer on your network. 

Alternatively, you can set a static IP address in your laptop to have a 192.168.0.102 address, which would allow you to browse to the Deskjet internal web page.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation