Question

Honor Student
racaz
Message 1 of 7 (6,288 Views)

Trouble setting up HP photosmart plus B209a printer on wireless network

Hi,

I've been trying to set up my daughter's printer on our wireless network.  I keep getting the following message(s).

Your wireless router requires a WEP security key. The security key configured on your printer does not match exactly. Reconfigure your wireless network WEP security key for your printer.

Your printer has limited connectivity. Your printer is using IP address 169.254.1.188, which is not compatible with the IP address 192.168.1.101 of the PC. Power off your printer and then power on and wait 60 sec for the printer to acquire an IP address. Then click Retry.

I've attempted most of the steps listed in the manual and I'm still not able to get the printer connected to the network. The only thing I haven't done is  to configure the firewall to allow communication over UDP port 427. That's simply because I don't know how or where to change it. I'm using McAfee.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 7 (6,287 Views)

Re: Trouble setting up HP photosmart plus B209a printer on wireless network

Well, let's try the two birds with one stone routine.

First, WEP is really not secure any longer.  There is freeware on the internet that can break your WEP key in less than 10 minutes.  I recommend switching to WPA or WPA2.  This will also take care of the printer installation problem.

Now, before you do this, realize that all wireless devices on your network will have to have the new passphrase (that you create) entered into them.

Tell me what kind of router you use and I can help.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
racaz
Message 3 of 7 (6,284 Views)

I wasn't aware there were security issues with WEP, thanks for the heads up. I'm using a Linksys SRX400 wireless router.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 7 (6,261 Views)

Changing the settings in the router is best done on a computer that is wired to the router.  You can get to the router's settings by typing 192.168.1.1 into a browser.  The login is blank and the password is 'admin' unless you have changed it.

Click on Wireless, then Wireless Security.

Choose WPA2 with AES (or TKIP or AES) encryption mode.  Choose a passphrase that is at least 13 characters with numbers and letters, upper and lower case.  Click Apply.

Now, go to each wireless device and re-login using your new passphrase.  Finally, set up the printer as you were trying before, it should work as expected.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
racaz
Message 5 of 7 (6,244 Views)

I got it working. My DSL wireless router has WPA/WPA2, once I switched from WEP everything worked. Thanks for all your help.

Student
KrystalCameron
Message 6 of 7 (1,795 Views)

We recently had to get a new router from our internet provider-it is a wireless router and modem in one I think (ATT U-Verse).

Since we had the new router installed, I have not been able to print with my printer unless I plugged in my laptop to the printer. I know I need to update the wireless information, but I cannot figure out how.

I have gone through the set up process multiple times, and even uninstalled and reinstalled the printer  at least 3 times. I am still having no luck.

When looking at the settings on the printer, it still has the old router information on it--how do I update this?

As I am not super computer savvy-laymans's terms will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 7 of 7 (1,751 Views)

On the front of the printer go to Setup > Network > Restore Network Defaults.

Now, re-install the printer, but right before you do, pull the power plug on the ATT U-Verse box for a few seconds and let it restart, then install the printer.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation