Question

Top Student
DejjB
Message 1 of 32 (13,767 Views)

Unable to Communicate with Printer - Photosmart 6520

[ Edited ]

A few days ago this issue popped up out of no where. I've been using the printer for a few months now with out an issue, but all of a sudden all of our computers can no longer print. When ever I try an error pops up that the computer cannot communicate with the printer, and to try to update the IP address with the IP address tool.

So far what I've tried without any success:

- Restarting the printer.

- Restarting the router.

- Restarting the computers.

- Reconnecting the printer to the network (Rerunning the network setup.).

- Changing the IP address manually.

- Disabled the router firewall and computer firewall.

- Changed the wireless security on my router to WPA2 from WEP (Needed to do this anyway.).

- Uninstalling, then reinstalling drivers and software.

- HP Print and Scan Doctor (Sorry, left this one off. Doesn't detect any devices.)

The Photosmart 6520 says it is connected to the network and the printed wireless test page says the same thing, but none of the computer can print to it, or detect it.

So far I'm stuck there, as I can't locate the printer to finish reinstalling the drivers.

Having this issue on multiple devices.

- Desktop running Windows 7 Ultimate x64

- Acer laptop running Windows 7 Home

- Two different HP laptops running Windows Vista

Since it is affecting so many devices on different platforms I'm inclined to believe the fault lies with the router or the printer itself. Though since there's no other network issues and the printer itself shows it connects successfully to the network (I can also see it listed on the router client list.), I'm leaning more towards an issue with the printer.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks for your time.

Grad Student
SammanthaR
Message 2 of 32 (13,761 Views)

Re: Unable to Communicate with Printer - Photosmart 6520

You have been very proactive in trying to resolve your issue and the steps you have done so far have been great. Are you able to make a color copy on the printer? I just want to verify the printer's hardware itself is functioning

Secondly, the router's firmware may have updated and caused it to block connectivity between the pc's and the printer. Who is your Internet service provider?

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

If I have solved your issue, please feel free to provide kudos and make sure you mark this thread as solution provided!
Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own opinion and not those of HP

I work for HP.
PhD Student
Dot4
Message 3 of 32 (13,760 Views)

[ Edited ]

Here is a link to one of our documents at HP.com that will walk you thru how to download, install and use one of our utilities that will try to troubleshoot your issue.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03286146&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_us...

I was an HP employee

If I have helped you solve your issue please mark it as solved

**Say Thanks By Clicking on the Kudos Star**
Top Student
DejjB
Message 4 of 32 (13,758 Views)

The printer itself functions fine. Both color and black. I've done several printed "Wireless Network Test Result" pages over the time I've been trouble shooting and I just did a "Print Quality" test page to just verify that color is working as well.

My ISP is AT&T DSL. Though the firmware hasn't been updated. The printer lists off the firmware version as "PKM2CN1230AR" with revision date as July 26, 2012 (Stock firmware, as the date was from before it was purchased.).

Also, thanks for the quick replies.

Top Student
DejjB
Message 5 of 32 (13,753 Views)

Sorry, I left the HP Print and Scan Doctor off my list of things I've already tried.

The HP Print and Scan Doctor doesn't even detect the printer, so it ended up being a dead end.

Grad Student
SammanthaR
Message 6 of 32 (13,740 Views)

if the print/scan dr is not even finding the printer, one of two things has to be happening, either something is blocking the connectivity from the printer to the pc's or the wireless radio on the printer has malfunctioned.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

If I have solved your issue, please feel free to provide kudos and make sure you mark this thread as solution provided!
Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own opinion and not those of HP

I work for HP.
Top Student
DejjB
Message 7 of 32 (13,739 Views)

I don't believe anything is blocking it. It worked just fine with both the router and pc firewalls running before. With both of them disabled it didn't change a thing. With the sudden problem and with no changes with the computers in the home, I'm probably going to just have to assume it malfunctioned.

Intern
Eagle-Pat
Message 8 of 32 (13,720 Views)

Looks like you have done a lot of what needs to be done.  Nice work!

Just want to clarify a few things.

Can you connect the printer to the router using a network cable? 

Does the printer work fine if connected directly to the router via netowork cable?

If that works fine, please note the IP address and disconnect network cable.

Wireless:

From the 6520 , configure wireless connection

What is the printer's IP address when you have it assigned automatically and not manually? 

If both IP addresses assigned are from same subnet (ex:192.168.x.x)

-can you ping the printer through the command prompt (in accessories) from a PC on the same network?

'Ping (address) xxx.xxx.x.x'

You should get back 3 lines showing the mil sec response if successful.

Sorry if I am asking you to do something you have already done.

I work for HP
Top Student
DejjB
Message 9 of 32 (13,697 Views)

The printer only has a USB 2.0 Type B connection for wired connections. So there's no way to connect it to the router. And unfortunately I don't have any cables for a Type B to test a direct computer connection.

As for the IP address, they are both from the same subnet, but ping the printer under ither address fails.

Intern
Eagle-Pat
Message 10 of 32 (13,693 Views)

Using the USB connection was going to be my next suggestion. 

The device could be in a locked or invalid state.  You have already reset the device and reinstalled the software, but could not connect to the device.  To reset/re-initiate the device configuration, the software solution needs to communicate with the device.  Connecting via USB looks to be your only option with wireless not working.

Can you can barrow a USB cable to complete the installation?  Any product updates or fixes are applied through the software installation.

Please uninstall the software first before starting again.

I work for HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation