Question

Honor Student
stephenter
Message 1 of 4 (3,490 Views)

Unable to communicate with printer; ad hoc problem: Photosmart 6510

I'm running windows 7 pro and I recently installed the aforementioned printer. Please help. 'HP-setup-73 Photosmart 6510,' the name of the printer, is recognized and able to be connected to in my network wireless connections. Firewalls have been disabled and Installation and network config is already set - at least to my knowledge. But when trying to print something, an error window pops up saying: "Unable to communicate with printer...If you installed this printer by IP address, please update the IP address..." That error message could be irrelavant; Perhaps it's a setting adjustment on the printer side. I don't know, that's why I'm asking. :smileyhappy:  what should I do to fix this problem?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 4 (3,454 Views)

Re: Unable to communicate with printer; ad hoc problem: Photosmart 6510

[ Edited ]

Print a Wireless Network Test from the front of the printer (probably the Network or Wireless menu).  Does it indicate that your printer is connected to your network?

If so, go to Start > All Programs > Hewlett-Packard > [your printer model] > Update IP address.

If you want a more permanent solution after doing this (so you will not have to do it again), set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you do not know the range, change the last set of numbers (those after the last '.') to 250
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
stephenter
Message 3 of 4 (3,434 Views)

Before I do that, let me mention something: Everything works fine when I installed that printer on my brother's computer (windows XP). In addition, I am also able to print from my iphone with that printer. The IP adress is already static and I am able to see it; this leads me to believe that the problem is MY computer.

Mind you, the printer is not connected to a router. Althought this might be arbitrary, this is what my print report Indicates:

Current Config

-SSID   Not Set

-IP adress  Not Applicable

-Configuration Source   Not applicable

-Communication Mode  Infrastructure

-Authentication Type  Open System

-Encryption  None

Give me your thoughts. Thanks Dean

Honor Student
stephenter
Message 4 of 4 (3,427 Views)

oh hey, i solved the problem. I had a Dr. House moment. thanks anyways

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation