Question

Top Student
Brian_E_2011
Message 1 of 14 (1,374 Views)

Unable to connect laptop to Photosmart Plus B210a

[ Edited ]

I have a new Photosmart Plus B210a that I have been unsuccessful connecting to with my Toshiba Satellite laptop running windows XP.  I have a second PC, a Dell Desktop, that I was able to connect and print flawlessly from.  Both are on the same network, using the same firewall. 

When I attempt to use the HP software (tried both the CD that came with the printer as well as the newest version on HP's support website) and connect via wireless, I am able to see the printer with correct IP address (reserved in DHCP on my router).  When i select it and click next, it acts like it is trying to connect then i get a message saying it was Unsuccessful. 

I downloaded and ran the HP network diagnostic utility and am able to see the printer there as well.  When I "Check Connection" I immediately get a message saying the "Software Missing!  HP Software required to connect to your printer over the network could not be found on this computer."

I have verified that I have the  newest versions of the HP software installed on the laptop.  I have also verified that the firmware is current on my router.  The laptop is current on all Microsoft updates. 

If i connect the laptop via USB cable, the printer works flawlessly.

Any suggestions would be welcomed and I would like to thank you in advance for any assistance.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 14 (1,361 Views)

Re: Unable to connect laptop to Photosmart Plus B210a

Uninstall the HP software (using the uninstaller in the Hewlett-Packard folder), reboot, then get the latest software for your printer from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
Brian_E_2011
Message 3 of 14 (1,351 Views)

Thank you for the response.

I uninstalled everything and tried reinstalling.  I ended up with the exact same outcome.  I can see the printer,  but when i try to connect i get the "the printer was unable to be installed over the network.  Click retry to try installing the printer over the network again, or click cancel to return to the connection options."

Top Student
Brian_E_2011
Message 4 of 14 (1,335 Views)

Update:

I completely disabled my antivirus (Avast!) and disabled the only firewall (windows firewall) and can confirm that neither of those is preventing the installation.

I deleted every trace of HP and Hewlett Packard software by deleting all folders, registry keys, temp files, and programs.  Restarted the laptop, and reinstalled the newest software from the "Support and Drivers" section of the website for the HP Photosmart Plus B210a for windows XP, and still no luck.

I was able to install the printer manually by going into control panel >> printers and faxes, and adding a new printer.  I used a standard TCP/IP port a entered the IP address of the printer.  This allows me to print, but I still cannot connect using the HP software, which would allow me to do the fancy stuff like scanning. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 5 of 14 (1,328 Views)

I think Avast! is the problem (even if it is disabled).  Make sure it is the latest version with the latest updates.  If that it not possible or it does not fix the problem, completely uninstall Avast!, reboot and select another security system.

Finally, load the HP software.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
Brian_E_2011
Message 6 of 14 (1,318 Views)

Uninstalled Avast! completely as well as all HP software.  Restarted computer.  Downloaded newest version from HP website again.  Re-installed and came to exact same conclusion

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 7 of 14 (1,314 Views)

That's a surprise.  Avast! has been problematic for other customers, so I assumed....  Sorry about that.

Is XP updated (do Windows Update over and over until there are no more updates)?  What brand/model router?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
Brian_E_2011
Message 8 of 14 (1,310 Views)

Windows updates are current on Toshiba Satellite laptop.  Router is a D-Link DGL-4100.  Attached to that I have a D-link Dir-655 in access point mode. My desktop is attached directly to the DGL-4100 running vista and had absolutely no issue (also using avast!).  The printer is wirelessly connected via the access point obviously, as is the toshiba laptop.  I tried hardwire connecting to the DGL-4100 with the laptop so it would be the exact same situation as the desktop and it made no difference.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 9 of 14 (1,291 Views)

OK, what about turning off the AP and moving the printer close enough to the main router to get a signal.  Keep it this way during the installation and then after it is connected, you should be able to move it back onto the AP.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
Brian_E_2011
Message 10 of 14 (1,286 Views)

The main router is wired only, does not have radio capability

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation