Question

Student
hmscott
Message 1 of 2 (412 Views)

Unable to connect to HP Officejet 6600 after printer enters sleep mode

Actiontec MI424WR wireless router

HP Officejet 660

Dell XPS 8300 (Windows 7, Windows Firewall, Microsoft Security Essentials)

IP Address range: 192.168.1.x

Printer is assigned static IP address

The HP Officejet 6600 printer is easy to set up and works great...for about 15 minutes.  Then the printer goes to sleep and the wireless connection dies.  Repeatedly.  I am never able to restore the wireless connection without rebooting the printer, computer AND the router.  I've been dealing with this issue off and on since I purchased the printer four months ago.

I can see from forums that I am not the only one with this issue.  What I can't see (anywhere) is a solid fix for the issue.

I can tell you:

1.  It's NOT the windows firewall.  I've tried it with the firewall on and the firewall off.

2.  It's NOT the antivirus software.  I've tried it with the service running and the service stopped.

3.  It doesn't matter whether the IP address is statically assigned or assigned with a DHCP reservation (though you do need to do one or the other)

4.  Adding an ARP static entry helped a little bit to get rid of the "Host reports destination unreachable".

5.  It doesn't matter whether the Bonjour service is running or not.

6.  It doesn't matter whether the printer is configured for wireless direct printing or not.

7.  I updated to the most recent firmware for the printer: that didn't help.

8.  I'm positive that the printer is connected to the wireless router correctly.

I ran telnet from my pc to the printer (on port 80) and received no response.  I can only conclude that somehow, there's a service that's supposed to be running on the printer that has died or that fails to register properly with the router.

Right now, I'm back to a direct connection between the printer and the computer (usb cable).  Which means I can only print from the one device.

I have no intention of purchasing another HP product any time soon.  I'll be sure to go out of my way to find knock-off cartridges as well.

Ugh.

Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 2 of 2 (396 Views)

Re: Unable to connect to HP Officejet 6600 after printer enters sleep mode

Just to verify, what is the DHCP range in the router?  Starting and ending addresses?  What is the printer static IP at?

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I worked for HP but now I'm retired!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation