Question

Top Student
phil9843
Message 1 of 8 (1,548 Views)

Unable to get PC to work on wireless

I have a wireless C4580 and have it running perfectly on a Dell Laptop - scans copies the lot  - BUT when I tried to get it working on my Dell Optiplex GX270 PC it will not print wirelessly - it will scan to and from the PC

I have been on the telephone for hours with the HP support - they cannot help me and are in my opinion a disaster - they promise to call back and they do not - when I get connected t them the line goes dead after a few minuted - I am so fed up with the whole thing that I am ready to throw it in the bin

This is the first HP product I ever had and it wll be THE LAST

Any help out there would save me life!!!!!

Thanks

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 2 of 8 (1,528 Views)

Re: Unable to get PC to work on wireless

What kind of SW security (Norton/Symantec, McAfee, Zonelarm, etc) and antivirus program are you running on the GX270 PC? It's interesting that you can scan but not print (it's usually the opposite).

What kind of wireless-router are you running? Is the PC connected via LAN or wirelessly to the router?

We can setup the printer manually. Let me know what OS you're running.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Top Student
phil9843
Message 3 of 8 (1,509 Views)

Thank you Jim for you e mail

I have Zone alarm and Avast nti Virus

I have turned these off as per instruction in the manual - but to no avail

The HP agents also turned these off from a different location and again it did not work

Thank again

Philip

Top Student
phil9843
Message 4 of 8 (1,507 Views)

Sorry Jim

I have a BT Voyager 2110 wireless system in place

Thanks again

Philip 

Top Student
phil9843
Message 5 of 8 (1,506 Views)

Also I have Windown XP Profssional installed

Thanks again

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 6 of 8 (1,443 Views)

Lets try to add the printer manually.  First, we need to verify the connection between the PC and the printer.  Put the IP address of the printer into the address bar of your browser and verify that you see the printer's internal web page.

If this works, then follow these instructions:

1. Click "Start" button --> Printers and Faxes.
  2. Under Printer Tasks, click "Add Printer".
  3. Click "Next" button on the Add Printer Wizard window.
  4. Select "Local printer attached to this computer".  Deselect "Automatically detect and install My Plug and play  printer".  Click "Next".
  5. Under Select a Printer Port option, select "Create a new port" and select "Standard TCP/IP Port"  and click "Next" button.
  6. In the "Welcome to the Add Standard TCP/IP printer port wizard" make sure that the printer is turned on and configured. Click "Next" button.
  7. Under "Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port" enter the printer's IP address.  Click "Next" then click "Finish".
  8. Now, select HP from the list of manufacturers, select your printer from the list of Printer models and click 'Next' button.
  9. Keep the existing driver and click "Next".
  10. Add the print spooler name and click "Next".
  11. Click "Next"
  12. Click "Next" and then "Finish"

A test page should print.  Let me know if this works.
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Top Student
phil9843
Message 7 of 8 (1,438 Views)

Hello Jim

Thank you for your expert advice - I was in touch again with the HP support agents and they went through the same procedrure as you have suggested without success

I am now in touch wht HP Customer services to have the unit collected and retrned to them for a refund as I have spent far too much time etc trying to get this sorted out

Thank you for all you held and advice - it is just great that there is a person like you out there who is prepared to give up their free time etc to help people like me

Keep up the good work and very best regards

Philip

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 8 of 8 (1,398 Views)

Thanks for the kind words.  I'm sorry we were not able to resolve your installation.

Hopefully, one of our printers will catch your eye in the future and you'll give us another try.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation