User Intervention Required (12172 Views)
Student
jwbanks
Message 1 of 18 (12,172 Views)

User Intervention Required

I am having trouble with my Officejet 6500 Wireless.  When I print I get the "User Intervention Required" message on the que monitor.  I have tried reinstalling the printer, but his only works for one print job and the problem starts over.  I have tried rebooting also and I get the same results.  I have Pavilion 6340f and have installed the 64 bit driver.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Honor Student
dpasley
Message 2 of 18 (12,099 Views)

Re: User Intervention Required

I am experiencing the same problem with my HP Officejet 6500 attached to my wired home network. This is occuring on my Dell Inspiron running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. By depressing copy on the printer and allowing it to copy a blank page it gathers itself together and will print the documents in the spooler. Down loading the latest device driver had no effect.

The other system on the network is running Windows XP SP3. For whatever reason when ever I go to print on this printer from this system, I have to go to Control Panel and unclick the "Use Offline Option".  Since the printer is only connected via the LAN there is no way I could ever use it offline. But, every time I try to print , I'm forced to unclick the "Use Offline Option".

Honor Student
laffitte2
Message 3 of 18 (11,876 Views)

ditto

I have new Compaq  - windows 7 - cannot print to the network HP6500.   I've tried all the steps HP recommends but no luck. Weird though is this....I tried to print last night - got the error message -  today when my wife turned on her computer  - my print job printed!

I've run all the Windows and HP diagnostics = nothing.  It's getting annoying.  I have to email from the Compaq to my Dell laptop to print to the HP!    I'm not happy.

Tutor
BeckMule
Message 4 of 18 (11,836 Views)

I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM on three computers; one using Windowns Vista and two using Windows 7.  It works fine on my XP computers.  This is obviously an HP problem and I would appreciate an HP fix.  The first print job works after the printer is installed, then all subsequent print jobs get thie "User Intervention Required" message.  Please fix this.  Thanks so much.

Student
mgirard
Message 5 of 18 (10,866 Views)

I've got this problem too. =/

Tutor
BeckMule
Message 6 of 18 (10,346 Views)

I also have this problem.  Why won't HP fix this??????????????

Student
MomofLeisure
Message 7 of 18 (10,180 Views)

Same problem. xp computers works fine.  Windows 7 computers don't work. "User Intervention Required" What's the deal?

HP HELP!

Honor Student
lks0
Message 8 of 18 (9,331 Views)

How can I get my wireless printer HP Officejet 6500 to print again???

Top Student
Harp-Collector
Message 9 of 18 (8,439 Views)

I receive the “user intervention required” message now when I print via USB from my new 8500A Plus A910 printer. It all started when I replaced the yellow ink cartridge with a generic cartridge. I received the message "Counterfeit or Used Cartridge Detected" and a warning that my warranty would be voided if I continued. I blew by the message as suggested in the instructions that came with the cartridge.

At this point, whenever I tried to print after not printing for an hour or so, the printer touch screen would show "now printing..." and nothing would happen until I cycled the power on the printer and restarted the job. The printer status dialog box also had "ink or toner low" appended to the name of the printer on the top bar. I searched the web for this problem and found 2 suggested solutions:

a) open and close the ink cartridge bay door

b) disable the sleep mode

Surprisingly, opening and closing the ink cartridge bay door worked perfectly every time and was much easier than cycling the printer's power.

Looking for a fix that didn't require constant opening and closing of that access door, I disabled the printer's sleep mode on it's on-board control panel at setup / preferences / energy save mode / off.

After having disabled sleep mode, now when I try to print, the printer hangs, showing "now printing..." as before, but with the printer status top bar showing a suffix statement "user intervention required" (the printer in not offline). I intervene by opening the ink bay door and the status statement changes from "user intervention required" to "door open". When I close the door, the status suffix reverts to the original "USB" and the page prints.

It seems that my printer only handles one status at a time, so when a status “occurs” that prevents printing, the solution around it is to replace it with another status that is consistent with resumption of the print job.

I think that printer manufacturers are now prohibited from rejecting refilled ink cartridges. I am wondering whether it is a coincidence that this started when I installed a "counterfeit or used cartridge" or if it is a programmed result of that act on my part. I may replace the "used" yellow cartridge with a "genuine HP ink cartridge" and see what happens.

I really appreciate the quality of printing and scanning on the many HP printers I have owned. Just like Polaroid in its era, HP makes its money on ink, not printers. I see no decrease in quality of the print when I use 3rd party cartridges and in a year of printing, I save enough money on ink to buy a new high-end ink jet printer.

Honor Student
lks0
Message 10 of 18 (8,432 Views)

lkstock wrote:

I am having trouble with my Officejet 6500 Wireless.  When I print I get the "User Intervention Required" message on the que monitor.  I have tried reinstalling the printer, but his only works for one print job and the problem starts over.  I have tried rebooting also and I get the same results.  I have Pavilion 6340f and have installed the 64 bit driver.  Thanks in advance for the help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation