Question

Top Student
umwhat
Message 1 of 15 (2,635 Views)

Why does it seem that all HP printers lose their wireless connection?

I currently have an officejet 4500 that has the sleep mode/wireless connectivity problem.  HP is shipping me an officejet 8600 pro that I am reading has the exact same problem.  (I have not gotten it yet so I can't say if this is going to happen)  

I have set up a permanent IP address on my printer and still have the same issue.  

WHY does it seem that all HP printers are having this issue?  

What is it about the configuration of a network that is not compatible?  My network is set up with a BelkinF9K1002 v2 with WPA-PSK security setting.  I have a video game console, satellite TV receiver and laptop connected to the network with minimal or no problems.  I have a wired desktop computer that is connected to the modem and router...no problems.  

I have an HP printer that is regularly a problem.  

Is it a security setting?  Is it a router setting?  

HOW does this problem get fixed?  

Come on, HP...

We pay a LOT of money for these printers and it doesn't seem too convenient to reboot my printer every time I need to print a document.  

Anyone have any ideas?  

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 15 (2,604 Views)

Re: Why does it seem that all HP printers lose their wireless connection?

Did you set your printer's IP outside the router's DHCP range?  Honestly, most HP printer connection problems are with non standard (Wifi Alliance standards) routers.

There are a lot of customers in the world with no problems with their HP printer wireless connections.  I think most of them are using good, standard routers.

Is the firmware updated on your router?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
umwhat
Message 3 of 15 (2,602 Views)

Yes to all of those.  My IP is out of the DHCP range, it's at 201...my router is a good, standard  router and I just checked the firmware on your suggestion and all of that is up to date.  

Seems as though this problem runs way too deep for HP not to do anything about it.  

Top Student
umwhat
Message 4 of 15 (2,495 Views)

I have read through this forum many times and it seems that a lot of people have this problem.  Perhaps it's time for HP to get out of the printer game.  

Still no one has a solution?  

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 5 of 15 (2,485 Views)

OK, what operating system are you using?  When the printer reportedly goes offline, does it still have a valid IP address from the router (print a Wireless Network Test from the front of the printer - make sure the IP is not 169.254.x.x nor 0.0.0.0)?

If it still has a valid IP, then the issue is not with the printer, but more likely the router or operating system.  If you are using Windows, download and run this utility: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-104282-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

What does it say?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
umwhat
Message 6 of 15 (2,480 Views)

Last night when it lost connectivity, it maintained the IP address.  However, when I tried to reboot the printer to get it back, it reverted to the 169 IP.  

This morning, I power cycled everything and it eventually came back online, printed the jobs from last night and the one I sent this morning.  

However, the problem is that at some point (probably later on today), it will go offine again.  

The print/scan doctor said that everything checked out ok (but that's when it was working).  

Top Student
umwhat
Message 7 of 15 (2,478 Views)

I am using Windows 7 and a Belkin F9K1002 router.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 15 (2,468 Views)

Let's make sure the printer has a good wireless signal from the router.  How many bars of signal strength does the printer show?  Try changing your router's channel to 11 or 1.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
umwhat
Message 9 of 15 (2,465 Views)

Full strength connection.  I did just change my router's channel from 7 to 11. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 15 (2,459 Views)

So has it dropped connection since putting the router on 11?  If so, try 1.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation