Question

Tutor
helsinki1
Message 1 of 10 (6,289 Views)
Accepted Solution

Why is my wireless network not found?

I have just installed HP Deskjet F4500 on my PC. I want to connect to my wireless network connection but it keeps telling me "wireless network not found". (I am using my wireless so I know that the wireless connection is fine.) I have all correct details (correct network, SSDI, WPE encryption code) for installation but no luck.

I have a Netgear DG834N router. I did run the www.hp.com/go/networksetup analyser which told me that HP is not currently supporting the router. Can that be right?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 10 (6,287 Views)

Re: Why is my wireless network not found?

Is your 'n' router set to also operate with 802.11 g devices?  If not, that is your problem.  I believe the radio in your printer operates on 'g' only.

Tell me more about your router configuration.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
helsinki1
Message 3 of 10 (6,284 Views)

Not sure... where do I find more about my router configurations? The part number is DG834N / DG834NB. The radio spectrum is EN300 328 V1.6.1 (2004) - does this help? Where can I find out if it set to operate on "g"?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 10 (6,279 Views)

OK, before we go down the road of N vs. G....

This is a router and also a DSL modem, correct?  Do you rent it from your ISP?

I am employed by HP
Tutor
helsinki1
Message 5 of 10 (6,256 Views)

Correct it is both and no, we own it.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 10 (6,238 Views)

OK, let's go check the router's settings:

Type 192.168.1.1 into a browser.  The login is 'admin' and the password is 'password'.

On the left side, choose Wireless Settings under the Setup heading.  You should see your SSID.  Make sure the Mode is set to 145Mbps.  Here you can choose your Security Options.  I highly recommend WPA2-PSK (AES).  If you have WEP, please change it.  WEP is not secure.  If you change your security settings, choose a passphrase that is at least 13 characters, numbers and letters, upper and lower case.  You will have to re-enter this into all of your wireless devices.

Now, lower on the left side, choose Wireless Settings under the Advanced heading.  Make sure that SSID broadcast is checked.

If you changed anything, check Apply toward the bottom.

Let me know what you found.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
helsinki1
Message 7 of 10 (6,187 Views)

Thanks for your help. I disconnected the firewall and run the installation again. Printer could now see the network. Installation completed.

Honor Student
lesh51
Message 8 of 10 (2,672 Views)

[ Edited ]

After having set up my wireless several months ago for some reason the scanner won't recognize my computer? This has happened a couple of times since the original setup which went fine. After some period of time it would just corrected it's self. This time however I tried to correct it myself which didn't work out so well.

I ran the wireless network test and it says Network Name (SSID) Found        FAIL

So being a computer illiterate I'm not sure what that means. I think is is asking for the password that use to pop up when I was trying to scan something basically asking where to send the scan Correct??? If so I have tried to enter that password and it keeps rejecting it. But that may be because it is not in CAPS. Could that be? I think it was in caps when installed the first time. If so how do I capitalize it using the keypad on the printer.

BTW I have an OfficeJet 4500 Ser# {Removed for privacy}

Honor Student
lesh51
Message 9 of 10 (2,671 Views)

What is WPA Passphrase

Student
selita
Message 10 of 10 (861 Views)

thank you for your great help... hope this will work...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation