Question

Tutor
Dennis1825
Message 1 of 11 (4,002 Views)
Accepted Solution

Win 8.1 and HP Officejet Pro 8600 not connecting

Priior to installing Windows 8.1, my printer worked fine.  I installed Windows 8.1 and came across the message - Printer Error - Before you can perform printer-relate tasks...  I removed and reinstalled the printer and it worked.  I printed several documents yesterday.  This morning, went to print and the same error message appeared, printing error.  I checked under devices and printers and the HP printer was grayed out.   When I clicked on the printer under device and printers, it says printer not connected.

I am using the printer on a wireless network.

Please help in this matter.

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 2 of 11 (3,974 Views)

Re: Win 8.1 and HP Officejet Pro 8600 not connecting

Hi Dennis1825,

I understand you've been having some issues with your Officejet 8600 printing since upgrading to Windows 8.1. I'm sorry to hear this has been happening but I will certainly try to help.

To get a little extra help with this issue, I'd like you to download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor (running for both Fix Printing and Fix Scanning to make sure it doesn't detect any issues) and hopefully it should be able to fix this for us.

Hope this helps, have a great day!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster :smileyhappy:
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
bwputko
Message 3 of 11 (3,798 Views)

Re: Win 8.1 and HP Officejet Pro 8600 not printing

I upgraded to Window 8.1 (32-bit) and now the printer is not working.  I uninstalled the software, reinstalled, downloaded and ran the new HP Scan doctor.  Everything is configured properly according to all the test but the printer will not print.

I can do a internal test print but no direct test print.

If it try to print a document, I get the error message, the document could not be printed and no pages selected.  If I keep trying to print, a message will appear the printer que is full.

Help.

Distinguished Professor
Cheetah12
Message 4 of 11 (3,767 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello bwputko.

I understand you are unable to print. You've done some necessary troubleshooting steps to try and resolve your issue. I would just like to verify a couple of things. What type of printer do you have? Please click on this website to verify your Model Number.

How is this printer connected, wireless or USB?

What program are you trying to print from? Does this happen on multiple programs?

I understand when you try to print, it does appear in your Print Queue. Please follow this entire HP document on Can't Print? Print Jobs are Stuck in the Print Queue.

This document should fix your issue, but if it doesn't please let me know and I will continue to assist you.

Good Luck.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!

Cheetah12
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
bwputko
Message 5 of 11 (3,763 Views)

I have an HP Office jet Pro 8600 that was working great on Windows 8 Pro.  Following the reccommend info from HP's website, I uninstalled the the printer 8600, restarted my system.  Now when I try to reinstall the software, it keeps hangin up on the installation process.

Everything was fine before the update now I can not even get the printer to install never mind printing.  Help

Distinguished Professor
Cheetah12
Message 6 of 11 (3,759 Views)

Thank you for your update.

I understand your frustration with this issue, but I will try to get this issue resolved for you. Now that your installation is hanging please follow this HP document on The Progress Bar on the Software Installation Stops or Stalls.

*Also keep in mind, you haven't indicated what type of connection you have for your printer.* If you have a USB cable plugged into the printer and computer, you want to remove the USB while performing this installation.

Please choose your correct Operating System and follow the steps listed in this document. You can also refer to this HP document as well: Installation Hangs.

Even though this document is referring to Windows 7, the steps will be the same. If using Windows 8, instead of using the start menu in Windows 7, you will be using the start screen. The most important step to perform in this document is "Step Three".

Please let me know if this helps.

Good Luck.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!

Cheetah12
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
bwputko
Message 7 of 11 (3,736 Views)

I have tried every suggestion that you have given.  Nothing is working.  I can not install my HP officejet 8600.

My printer is connected to a router and I am trying to install it to be used wirelessly.

When I was running WIndow 8 pro, the printer was installed and working wirelessly perfectly.  Now with new update to Windows8.1 problems.

I have cleaned my computer, checked the registry and did everything that I could think of.... and still it hangs up during installation.

Help, I really do not to print off my laptop

Barb

Distinguished Professor
Cheetah12
Message 8 of 11 (3,697 Views)

Hello and thank you for your update!

It seems like there was a conflict somewhere after upgrading to Windows 8.1. Since you are unable to install the software on your computer I am going to suggest to Refresh your computer.

Please follow this entire HP document on Refresh Your PC to Resolve Problems. This document will help you preform these steps. Make sure you select refresh your PC without affecting your files. This will help you from backing up your computer.

Once you Refresh your PC, your computer will go back to Windows 8. Make sure there is no full feature software (Officejet 8600) on your computer (double check in your Control Panel).

Now install the full feature software by using The Printer Install Wizard. Once this software is complete, it's your decision if you would like to upgrade back to Windows 8.1.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

Cheetah12
I work on behalf of HP
Student
deeryard
Message 9 of 11 (2,502 Views)

I bought a HP Officejet Pro to operate with a relatively new ASUS with windows 8.1. I can get the various test messages to print wirelessly, but when I try to print someting else it just doesn't work. I have used the Advanced Printer Setup on the computer, but it still does not work. I have tried the various HP dianostic and help downloads to no avail.

I previoulsy had an HP 4500 operating fine with my new ASUS with windows 8.1.  I then started getting a message that it was "offline" when it wasn't. The HP 4500 is now at another location. 

Student
GuntherChloe
Message 10 of 11 (2,354 Views)

Re: Win 8.1 and HP Officejet Pro 8600 not connecting

Installed Windows 8.1 and cannot connect scanner to PC with my HP8600 printer but Printer is working OK  I am using a USB connection.  Can anyone help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation