Windows 7/Windows Vista Network Printer Compatibility (3564 Views)
Student
cindysat1
Message 1 of 5 (3,564 Views)

Windows 7/Windows Vista Network Printer Compatibility

I have Officejet 5610 USB connected to new PC running Windows 7 which is network host computer. Printer was previously connected to a host PC running Windows XP. My networked PC running Vista could print when XP PC was on. After I replaced XP PC with new PC running Windows 7, I haven't been able to get the Vista PC to recognize the shared printer. I've downloaded drivers and ran updates on both PCs. I've also uninstalled the printer from both PCs, reinstalled, ran updates, and still can't print from the Vista PC. Is Officejet 5610 able to be networked between Windows 7 and Vista?

Honor Student
kevin5533
Message 2 of 5 (3,383 Views)

Re: Windows 7/Windows Vista Network Printer Compatibility

I have the same problem and I posted the question a couple of days ago.  I think the problem is related to the drivers as I got a message on my laptop running Visita that in order to print on a network using different operating systems the computer that has the printer attached must have drivers for all of the operating systems being used by computers connected to the network. 

The problem that I run into is when you go to the HP site and attempt to download a print driver you are instructed to simply plug the printer in and Windows automatically installs the driver.  This will install the driver for the operating system being used by the computer (Windows 7)  When I tried to install the printer from the CD it asked if I wanted to replace the installed driver with the one from the printer CD.  If I do that I won't be able to print from my Windows 7 computer. 

Like you, I am stumped.

Kevin

Honor Student
CKlinetobe
Message 3 of 5 (3,259 Views)

Re: Windows 7/Windows Vista Network Printer Compatibility

I am having the same problem as well.  I have an HP J5780 hooked to a Win 7 PC.  Our two Win 7 machines print fine but our Vista machine cannot print.  I am baffled as is our neighbor who does tech support for a living.  Glad to hear that I at least have company.

Top Student
Happy_now
Message 4 of 5 (2,861 Views)

Re: Windows 7/Windows Vista Network Printer Compatibility & error code 0x000003e3

Windows 7 host computer sharing printer with Vista 64 bit.  Wireless network was working until recent updates (the culprit may be IE9).

Now Vista cannot find the printers on the network.  It can see the printers on the Windows 7 host computer, but when I try to connect to the shared printer I get the message that I need to install printer.  (I have reinstalled the printer drivers).  When I click install printer the circle spins around awhile and I get the following error code.  "Windows cannot connect to the printer.  Operation could not be completed (error 0x000003e3). 

Another weird thing going on.  A couple of times I was able to find the printer when I was in the Vista Administrator account.  I had to put in the password of the administrator account for the Windows 7 host computer.  I then went to the Standard User, and did not have the connection with the standard user (the printers did not show up for the standard user.)

As soon as I logged off or restarted my Vista computer the printers on the Vista Administrator account were no longer available.

This is driving me crazy, and I have spent two weeks working on it.  Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Student
Rosalie_Blythe
Message 5 of 5 (1,643 Views)

i recently had this problem and i solve it by using the following website

i recently had this problem and i solve it by using the following website

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9040/how-to-share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-vista/

I am using three computer, one Vista 34 bit, one Window 7 64 bit home and one window 7starter. The two window 7 computers worked just fine . Th e printer is plugged in in the windwo 7 home laptop. However, the vista just could not find the shared network printer. I followed the instruction for the above website and it works like charmed!

Also, my window 7 starter does not print before and i use the following tools from microsoft and it did fixed the printing problem, http://support.microsoft.com/mats/printing_problems/en-us I hope this might help you guys!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation