Windows 7 to Networked LaserJet 2300 (running XP) (4974 Views)
Student
billbestimt
Message 1 of 4 (4,974 Views)

Windows 7 to Networked LaserJet 2300 (running XP)

I purhased a new laptop running Windows 7.  I have an HP LaserJet 2300 running on another computer with Windows XP as the operating system using a USB connection.  In addition, there is another laptop running Vista and another desktop running XP.  All 4 computers are networked thru a Linksys router/switch.  The Vista and XP computers can access the LaserJet 2300 thru the network.  However, the Windows 7 machine is a problem.

If I hook up the LaserJet 2300 directly to the Windows 7 machine, it finds a driver and works.  However, when I try to add the LaserJet 2300 as a networked printer, I get a message that says the driver can not be found.  I can get as far as seeing the LaserJet 2300 in the "shared printer window", but when I click next, I get the message that it can not locate the driver.

I have downloaded the HP generic driver on the Windows 7 machine.  And when I "browse" to that file, and try to match the required *.inf file, I get the message that it cannot be found.

Does anyone have a work around?

Teacher
Double-U-Dee
Message 2 of 4 (4,956 Views)

Re: Windows 7 to Networked LaserJet 2300 (running XP)

Hello, which driver did you download?  PCL5, PCL6 or Windows PostScript?  How about downloading the PCL6 which can be found HERE - please post the outcome for further assistance.

Thank you,

Thanks,
Double-U-Dee
hoard_master
Message 3 of 4 (4,947 Views)

Hi bilibestimt,

How about if you try to hook the LJ2300 up to the Win 7 machine locally via USB (at this point I am suspecting you are using the inbox Microsoft LJ2300 driver) and verify that it works with the installed plug and play print driver...

Then print a config page from the LJ2300 for the IP address, and go back to the Windows 7 PC and go into the "Devices and Printers" folder, and then right click on the LJ2300 installed USB driver and go to "Properties", and then go to the "Ports Tab", and  click on "Add Port"

-choose standard TCP IP port

-Click on New Port

-Type in the LJ2300 printer's IP address

-Click Next and follow the prompts.

-This should allow the USB installed print driver to print over a network port.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Student
stevenazyp
Message 4 of 4 (1,511 Views)

This link does not work!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation