Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Windows 8.1:  Printer Offline Issue

If you have seen issues where your laptops/tablets has been taken from a private (home) network to a public network  and then not been able to print when returning back to your private (home) network.  This is most likely due to the public network settings not being reset back to the private (home) network settings.  If this sounds like an issue you are having- try resetting your network settings by following the steps in the documents linked here:

For Ink Printers, please visit this document to help resolve your issue:

Print Jobs are Stuck in Queue

For LaserJets, please visit this document to help resolve your issue:

HP Laserjet - Printer offline and unable to print on a network in Windows 8.1

Install this Microsoft patch to make sure this private-public-private network issue does not reoccur. It is part of the April 2014 Windows Update package for Windows 8.1 and Server2012 R2 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2919355). 

If you experience this issue before you apply the patch, you must manually reset your network settings for this patch to function. Please refer to the above documents for manual reset help.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

If the printer shows offline while printing , check if th printer still has a valid IPV4 address.

If the printer still has a vaild IPV4 address , check on the "Ports" tab in the printer properties window.

Sometimes if the printer is added as a WSD port , the printer shows offline and the computer requires a reboot

to show thw printer online.

So, add a new STD TCP / IPV4 add using the IP add of the printer and this will take care of the issue

HP Recommended

>>Please check if the printer hardware is working fine by printing an internal report in the setup menu.

>>Check in your computer if there is any pending jobs in the queue , if so cancel all the jobs in your computer.

>> Go to devices and Printer >> right cick on the printer icon >> Go to Printer properties and check which port

is selected .

If the printer is on USB connection , USB port should be selected.

If its a network printer , click on add port >> Select STD TCP port and follow the " add a port " wizard

click on apply>> Click on OK >> Click on the general tab >> Print a driver test page

Try the above steps and let me know if it worked for you.. Thank you..

HP Recommended

I tried adding an IPv4 port as my printer had a WSD port but my laptop still stubbornly shows printer as offline. The printer shows it is connected to the same wireless networkas the laptop. What do I do now? It is all the more exasperating  as the printer worked well until suddenly the laptop shows it offline. HELP!!

HP Recommended

My printer and printer were working fine on my wireless network.  In the middle of print job, it stopped woring and indicated an error message offline.  I have tried using the print doctor and what ever sources I could find, but continue to recime the error and the printer stays offline.  Do I need to re-install the printer or is there an easier way to solve this problem.

HP Recommended

I have done all these instruction and it still is showing offline. 

HP Recommended

Well I found that as soon as I disabled the internal firewall that the computer 'saw' the printer again. I think Microsoft made changes to the firewall in an update as for 3 months o so from May when I got the system it all worked fine. Even now though sometimes the computer shows the printer 'offline' and will only recognise it again when I go to the control panel and click the printer to confirm it is the one I want to use. Something not quite right there. I think Microsoft coul be a little more helpful in solving this issue which they appear to have created.

HP Recommended

My HP printer goes offline every time. I have windows 8.1 with all updates applied and I do not take my latptop to a public wireless network. What is the issue with HP, I am about to start using social media to chat about this issue with HP. I will never get another HP product again if this is not resolved or someone does not get back with a solution promptly. Very anggry customer.

HP Recommended

I'm still having issues with my laptop getting an "offline" message when I try to print to my wireless HP Officejet Pro 8610.

HP Recommended

1.   If the printer shows offline , first thing you need to check is if the Printer has a valid IPV4 address by printing

a network summary page

2.  If the printer has a valid IP address , check if you could log on to the web interface page of the printer and if you are

able to ping from your computer to the printer

3.  If you are able to log on to EWS / ping to the printer , check which port is selected in the printer properties.

Always make sure that the IP address of the is selected , if not add a new port. Below are the steps to add a new port

Click on Start>> Printer and devices>> Right click on the printer icon >> Printer Properties >> Ports >> Add port>>

click STD/TCP IP port and select New Port >> Next >> Enter the IP address of the Printer >> Next >> Finish >> Close

>> Apply >> Click on General Tab >> Click on windows Test page on the right hand bottom of the printer properties

window. If the printer prints the driver test page fine , print any other documnet from your Computer.

4.  In case if you are not able to log on to the web interface on your Computer / ping to the printer from your Computer,

check the IP add of the your computer. To check the IP add of the Computer , Click on Start >> Run >> Type " cmd "

>> click open >> Command prompt window opens >> Type the Command " ipconfig " >> hit enter >> Check the IPV4

address of the Computer . For the Computer and the printer to communicate , IPV4 address of the Printer and                    computer should be in the same range. For Eg. If the IP add of the Printer is 192.168.1.12, IP add of the Computer

can be 192.168.1.10 , meaning only the last octane can be different.

5. If both the printer and the computer are in the same range and you still get the message " Printer Offline " , uninstall

the printer software from control panel , download the softwware from hp.com , install the same.

Please let me know if the above steps were helpfull..

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.