Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My environment consists of one (1) iPad, one (1) iPhone 5, one (1) iPhone 6, one (1) Dell Tablet running Windows 8.1 and one HP Pavilion TouchSmart All in One running Windows 8.1. My HP 8610 is wireless to all devices.  Once the printer is 'asleep' none of the devices can wake it up.  Must be done manually.  Once on-line I can print from any and all devices EXCEPT the HP Pavilion without problems.  The HP Pavilion shows a "printer offline'" message.  I have to reboot the printer and then the spooled print jobs completes.  I have tried and verifed all settings as described.  The Pavlilion never moves from the office.  What next?

HP Recommended

I have almost the identical setup except for a different printer. Just installed a new HP Envy 5330 e printer and it will not wake from sleep and stays offline.  I also have tried everything noted.  I am running windows 8.1.

Did you ever find a way for it to stay online?

HP Recommended

Changed from DSL to U-verse.  Printer now shows off-line.  Had been wireless with modem-router configuration.  Tried to put it on-line and printer asked for a WIPA password.  No idea what that is.

HP Recommended

One of the main things that can help is a Network Refresh 

Printers normally show as offline when routers or firewalls update and prevent the devices from communicating. 

1 - check the printer shows as connected and online on the front panel (Note down IP address if you can) 

2 - In order turn off the Printer, computers/devices 

When off and quiet turn the router off for the count of 10

turn router on and wait for lights to go steady 

Once done turn on computers/devices and ensure they are connected to the internet 

Lastly power on the printer and wait for the wireless light to go steady and check the IP matches 

if it has changed then the router has assigned a new IP address to the unit and you will have to readd the pritner again to the pc or update the IP address through the printer software. 

To do this open the printer icon on the desktop to open the Printer Assistant - select Utilities - Update IP address - enter in the new IP and click search - if found and saved you should be able to print again once restarted pc. 

HP Recommended

Tried all HP support site recommendations and posted solutions with no improvement to the 'off line' problem.   (note: I am not a techy person and do not understand all the recommendations.  As a casual user, I should not have to.) Finally contacted HP AMS TCO Escalation Team and they performed remote assistance.  Essentially they removed and did a fresh re-install of the HP 8610 software.  It actually fixed the problem, for a short time, about 3 weeks.  Then, after a MS Windows update, the trouble started all over again.  Frustrated, I contacted the HP AMS TCO Escalation Team, again.  They have arranged for more support today, Fri 03APR2015.  I will post after the support session, with an update to the problem.

HP Recommended

HP AMS TCO never called on 02APR2015 as promised.  Sent two (2) e-mails asking for call back.  Finally. on 08APR2015, recieved call from Stephanie HP Tech Support group.  She was very business like and asked for remote access to my PC.  Granted access and she proceeded to uninstall printer software and reinstalled the 8610 Printer software.  The process did not look like the same process the regular users use.  (Note: this is the second time HP support performed the sdame process.   After the first such event, the printer off line failure started all over after about 3 weeks of working properly.)   The printer appear to be working okay and Stephanie said she would call back in 24 hours to confirm the problem was corrected. The following day 09APR2015 my HP PC had its first 'blue screen' and 3 hours later a screen message appeared stating a forced re-restart was in progress (the PC would not respond to any keyboard commends until the restart was complete).  First time for either of these errors to occur.  At 1740 hoours 09APR2015 received call from Jacob at HP Tech Support checking to make sure printer problem was fixed.  Advised Jacob printer was working propoerly but had two PC 'freezes' the blue screen and forced restart.  Jacob stated it was unrelated to the printer reinstall.  (Personal observation, Jacob could not get off the phone fast enough.)  In conclusion, as of 0735 hours 10APR2015 the off-line error have reoccured when tryiig to perform a print function.  HP Tech Suppport Team has attempted to fix the problem but failed on both occasions and I now have a machine that may be unstable based on the blue-screen and forced re-start events of 09APR2015.  I am expecting my HP Case Manager Richard to call and attempt the close the case today.  I will advise the print problem is NOT fixed.  We will see what happens next. 

HP Recommended

@bat-radio ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

This led me to re-install the printer & it worked!  So simple!  I've been at this for hours & hours!

Please let me forward my troubleshooting progress notes so someone can update HP Doctor! :robothappy:

HP Recommended

I don't think this is limited to Windows 8.1.  I have machines running Linux, Windows 7, and Windows Vista and once the printer goes to sleep, it stays there and will not respond to ping, http, or print requests until it is power cycled.  It works fine while it is awake, but as soon as it goes to sleep, nothing will wake it but a power cycle.   The web interface shows that it is configured to wake on USB, Wired, and Wireless print jobs, but neither wired nor wireless print jobs will wake it up (I have tried both).  The printer's network interface appears to be disabled while it is asleep although the blue (wireless) LED is on and the printer is very close to the WAP.

Any ideas would be appreciated as there appears to be no way to prevent the printer from going to sleep and no way to talk to it via the network once it has gone to sleep.

HP Recommended

I have a desljet 2540 and have had this offline problem for a while, thanks for this tip i have now solved this ,  it was easy to have a new ipv4 port added,  and i have set the printer to a manual ip number .    thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.