Question

Tutor
harthenry
Message 1 of 10 (3,061 Views)

Wireless Connection never wakes up HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911g

There seems to be quite a bit of chatter regarding the wireless connection on an HP 8600 going to sleep (ECON mode) and never waking up (at least with Windows XP SP3).  Mine does this too -- when hard wired, the HP Printer works fine.  I really do not believe this is a static IP problem.  FYI: Any cheaply made router has DHCP Static IP address assignment through MAC lookup - this is the way you should be setting up your system.  Anyway, I believe the problem has to do with the ARP Multicast broadcast that is issued by the print spooler in Windows XP that broadcasts "--where is the HP Printer--?".  Hopefully there is a picture attached to this document.  Since I develop drivers for a living, it was a simple "snif" of the packets through a protocol analyzer (I used a freebie one called wireshark for this exercise) that shows fairly clearly the HP printer is completely ignoring a standard ARP Multicast "wake up" message on "who has ....IP... address??".  In my case the "IP" address of the HP printer is xx.109 and my computer is xx.114.  Look at the trace.  ARP is asking who has the MAC address of xx.109.  (this is a standard ARP multicast call).  The HP printer even though it is sleeping and --should-- continue to monitor all multicast IP traffic, should see the simple ARP message, and say "we're here! we're here! we're here!".  Looking at the trace, it is fairly obvious the HP printer is completely ignoring the message. 

So, hey HP guys, what else do you need from me to help you fix your problem... Just give me a shout and I will be more than happy to help out any way I can, thanks HHARP multicast

Tutor
harthenry
Message 2 of 10 (3,036 Views)

Re: Wireless Connection never wakes up HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911g

I was hoping someone from HP would read this and respond
Top Student
wakanafo0
Message 3 of 10 (3,028 Views)

You can do the following to troubleshoot your issue.

1. Download the Print and Scan Doctor from HP.com and run it.

***If this doesnt fix the issue***

2. Check the printer driver and the port. Since your on a wireless network make sure that there is a checkmark on the TCP/IP port with the HP product name.

3. Try to determine if the printer is offline or paused. Make sure there are no checkmarks on both.

4. Restart the Print Spooler device

5. Do a test print. If this does not work try the next step below.

6.Remove and reinstall the driver and software. (Clean reinstallation is preferred) EG. removed from registry, USB sticky issues, etc.

Let us know if this has resolved the issue.

Tutor
harthenry
Message 4 of 10 (3,010 Views)

Did you even read the "thread start" message, and analyze the attached bitmap?  If you did, you would realize your form letter has no bearing on this thread.  So to answer your question, No, your response has no effect on the issue.

Honor Student
slowpoke96z28
Message 5 of 10 (2,984 Views)

i wonder if thats the case with mine.  the only reason i think it may be different is i actually got mine out of sleep mode, used the printer's control panel to print a "wireless network test results" page and all showed good.

i then downloaded the "HP Print and Scan Doctor 1.0". i ran it (took forever) and it found no problems and offered to print a test page. of course the test page failed to print. tried it with no firewall and that did not help.

for lack of better terms, it seems that even if the printer does "wake up", either the computer does not notice, or they've forgotten how to "talk to each other."

Student
timber2
Message 6 of 10 (2,901 Views)

Hi

I just purchased the 8600 Pro and it cannot hold a connection at all either.  It will print maybe three pages but then you leave the room and come back and there is black jibberish printed.  Very frustrating.  Did your method acutally fix the problem.  The photo is fuzzy online so you cannot see what screen to look at.  Also, did not really understand the steps you identified.  Please advise if you have time.  Thanks a lot.

Student
underdogit
Message 7 of 10 (2,658 Views)

I have the same problem w/ an OJ 6700. Just won't respond to ARP.  This seems to be a pervasive problem w/ the wireless printers, odd there isn't more info about it (most of the HP suggestions focus on the router, 802.11 channel you're using, interference, etc). 

Like your situation, my printer reports it has a solid signal strength, an IP addr issued by the rtr, and using the proper ssid, etc.   I.e. everything looks proper/good, only the printer wont respond to a ping or a print request (because it won't respond to an ARP request).   Solution I used is to create a static ARP table entry on my client.  Once I did that, the printer would respond to a ping - so it knows who it is, just doesn't like the PA system. :smileyindifferent:

On windows (you'll need to be using an elevated administrator account), use arp -s printers_ip_address printers_mac_(ethernet)_address

Its a similar command for Unix/Linux/Mac OSx

Student
duntiedt
Message 8 of 10 (1,764 Views)

Hi guys

I definately had the no ARP reply issue highlighted by #harthenry. I know this because I ran a tcpdump trace on my firewall and could see no response from the printer to the ARP request packets.

I did the following to resolve it (although I have not tested it for any length of time) it seems to be working good now:

1. Set the printer IP to manual and manually configured all the options including the DNS and default route

2. Ran a ping -t <ip addr>

(it took about 10 pings before the printer finaly replied)

3. While the ping was running I then configured everything I needed to and all went fine

I can print to the printer and the EWS setup was fine.

I have not tried turning off the ping and then using the printer yet.

Best David

Student
MeetingWorks
Message 9 of 10 (1,469 Views)

My HP 8600 doesn't wake up when I want to print, copy or scan.  When a hand is run over the display area it remains dark. When the power button is pushed the light pulsates from dark to light. It is only when the printer is unplugged that it will start up again. Help!

Honor Student
jonasmike
Message 10 of 10 (1,390 Views)

underdogit got the point.

I own a Phosmart 5515 and it just doesn't respond to ARP. It is not a matter of sleeping. It doesn't respond to ARP even when it is printing from another computer in the network.

My printer is configured with static IP 192.168.1.215.

From o local PC1:

ping  192.168.1.215

-> fail: Destination Host Unreachable

arp 192.168.1.215

-> fail: no HWAddr

arp -s 192.168.1.215 my_pirinter_mac_addr

ping  192.168.1.215

-> OK.  Now I can print from PC1 but not from PC2

From o local PC2:

ping  192.168.1.215

-> fail: Destination Host Unreachable

arp 192.168.1.215

-> fail: no HWAddr

arp -s 192.168.1.215 my_pirinter_mac_addr

ping  192.168.1.215

-> OK.  Now I can also print from PC2

Same behaviour for Windows / Linux / Mac.

Same behaviour for wireless and wired local computers.

I upgraded to last firmware but found no differences.

The only solution I have requires making arp -s ... at every OS boot on every local computer.

Any one have a cleaner solution?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation