Wireless Installation Problem for Officejet Pro 8600 Plus (5771 Views)
Honor Student
GregJH
Message 1 of 9 (5,771 Views)

Wireless Installation Problem for Officejet Pro 8600 Plus

[ Edited ]

Officejet Pro 8600 Plus fails wireless network installation on Windows XP Professional.  This product has been successfully installed on the wireless network of my wife's notebook (on Windows7).  I have rung HP support, tried the HP wireless support software, all to no avail.  Can somebody suggest a fix.

Grad Student
Herculean
Message 2 of 9 (5,750 Views)

Re: Wireless Installation Problem for Officejet Pro 8600 Plus

Hi GregJH,

Try these steps:

1. Restore Network Defaults on the printer (Wireless>Wireless Settings>Restore Network Defaults>Yes).

2. Rerun the Wireless Setup Wizard from the printer front panel to connect the printer to the router (Wireless>Wireless Settings>Wireless Setup Wizard).

3. After the printer is connected, run the printer software on the XP laptop - location is usually at Start>All Progams>HP>OJ8600>Printer Setup & Software.

4. Select Wireless connection method to rediscover the printer over the network.

5. Enter the IP address of the printer into the software if prompted.

Please click the blue Kudos star in the post that resolved your problem. Doing so will help other forum members find their solutions too.

Honor Student
GregJH
Message 3 of 9 (5,728 Views)

Hi,

Thank you very much for the suggestion, but unfortunately it failed to work and my printer still failed the wireless connection to network step.  Any other suggestions anyone?

Cheers,

Greg

Grad Student
Herculean
Message 4 of 9 (5,718 Views)

Do you happen to have any internet security or firewall software such as Norton, McAfee, BitDefender, etc. on your XP unit?

Also, what is the brand and model of your router?

Thanks.
Honor Student
GregJH
Message 5 of 9 (5,710 Views)

My router is a THOMSON T8782T, and I operate McAfee.  Ihave tried disabling the firewall but installation still fails.  The printer has installed successfully using the same router on a another laptop running Windows 7.  Thanks for your valuable assistance mate.

Greg.

Tutor
maysmithb
Message 6 of 9 (5,689 Views)

I am having the same problem.  We purchased the HP 8600 in Nov 2011, installed the drivers on our PC and laptop, printed perfectly for 10 months.

I replaced the laptop this weekend and installed HP drivers on the new laptop.  Then we received message "unable to communicate with printer" when we tried to print from the PC.  All computers are Windows 7 and router is Cisco (Liinksys e1000).  I turned off Avast firewalls to install drivers and left them off during print tests.

I un-installed drivers on the PC and re-installed them.  No change on the PC, but now I can't print from the laptop either.

A Network Manager is like an Elevator Operator, both jobs have their ups and downs
Grad Student
Herculean
Message 7 of 9 (5,666 Views)

Try updating the firmware on the printer - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=bi-102210-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Login to your router and change the channel to 11:

To login to the Thomson, open your web browser and type http://192.168.1.254 and press enter. Linksys is 192.168.1.1. Change the channel to 11 in the wireless settings menu.

Give the printer a static IP address:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you do not know the range, change the last set of numbers (those after the last '.') to 250
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS. This is Google DNS. You can choose another external DNS if you wish.
- Click 'Apply'.
Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

If printing still doesn't work, go to the the printer properties and add a port, select standard tcp/ip port, instead of the printer ip address enter the host name of the printer which you can find in the printer configuration page. Save it and restart all the devices to make sure everything is working fine.

Show support by clicking the blue Kudos star in the post that resolved your problem. Doing so will help other forum members find their solutions too.

Tutor
maysmithb
Message 8 of 9 (5,637 Views)

Have you tried rebooting your router?  It worked for me.

I found this solution on a different forum.  Their problem was similiar to ours, and occured just a few weeks earlier.  They suspected an HP firmware upgrade - I forgot that I received about 25 Windows Updates - maybe an HP update too - just before my problems started.

I rebooted my cisco Linksys e1000 and the installation program found my printer the next time I ran it.  I'm certain now that I didn't need to uninstall the drivers.

A Network Manager is like an Elevator Operator, both jobs have their ups and downs
Tutor
maysmithb
Message 9 of 9 (5,632 Views)

Kudos to ferRX on the following forum:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Networking-and-Wireless/Officejet-8600-firmware-CLP1CN1232AR-ca...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation