Question

Top Student
Les10000000
Message 1 of 47 (6,633 Views)

Wireless Printing Is Really Slow

HP Officejet 6500A Plus.  Two computers Win7 Home Premium (64bit on one and 32bit on the other).  Printer is about 3 feet away from the computer in my living room and the other computer and wireless router are in another room.  Both computers recognize the printer and can print to it.  Problem is that even if you're only printing a simple, short email you might as well go fix a sandwich or something because it's going to take a few minutes to print.  The printer starts almost immediately but then stops and starts continuously until the document is finally completed.  On ocassion I have gotten just a few lines of unreadable garbage.  Otherwise, print quality is good as are colors.

I've checked printer properties, preferences and have run the troubleshooter.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  The printer's wireless network test report shows no problems found and a successful setup of the wireless printer.  Passes all diagnostics and signal quality shows as "very good".  Ten other networks are detected but none with a name matching my SSID. 

Any thoughts or ideas on why the print operation is so slow?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 47 (6,612 Views)

Re: Wireless Printing Is Really Slow

Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you know what that is, set an IP outside that range but no higher than 254 (the last number in the address). If you do not know this, enter the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Type the router's IP (usually ends with .1) into the gateway and first DNS field.  Leave the second DNS blank.

- Click 'Apply'

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
Les10000000
Message 3 of 47 (6,605 Views)

Didn't work Doc.  Tried a small 4 line email and it zipped right through.  Tried one a bit more complex with a few graphics in the body (a Newegg order confirmation and tracking number) and it took nearly 5 minutes to complete.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 47 (6,604 Views)

Tell me about your network - router brand/model, encryption type (WEP, WPA, etc) and ISP type (DSL, Cable, etc).

I am employed by HP
Top Student
Les10000000
Message 5 of 47 (6,602 Views)

Router is a Cisco Valet Plus Model M20.  Encryption is WPA2.  I'm on a fiber optic setup.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 47 (6,600 Views)

OK, let's pick on the router a bit.  Let's run this test:

- unplug the fiber optic cable from the back of the router.

- remove and re-apply the power cord on the router.

- with the fiber optic cable removed, try to print - is it faster?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
Les10000000
Message 7 of 47 (6,588 Views)

Sorry for the delay Doc... got interrupted by company.  Anyhow when I unplugged the fiber optic cable printer didn't want to print so I messed around and plugged the cable back in powered down the router and powered back up.  Rebooted the printer and voila!  everything seems to be working now.  Not exactly sure what it was but I did note that the graphics stuff on the Newegg email depended on an internet connection to display.  Whatever it was all seems well at the moment.  I appreciate your assistance.

Top Student
Les10000000
Message 8 of 47 (6,560 Views)

[ Edited ]

I thought everything was fixed but the printer is doing it again.  I'm really disappointed in HP over this one as I've had good luck in the past with HP printers.  This one is about to get slugged with a sledge hammer and dropped in the trash.  Latest attempt to print a pdf got about half of the first page and then 12 sheets with a line of garbage printed before I could get the print job cancelled.  No telling how many sheets of paper would have been wasted had I not gotten the job cancelled.  I reset everything to factory defaults, rebooted printer and router and I'm just sick of messing with this thing.  HP update program says I have most up to date drivers installed.  I'll entertain ideas once again before destroying this thing and banning anything with an HP label from my home.

printer.jpg

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 9 of 47 (6,554 Views)

Have you tried changing from WPA2 to WPA?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
Les10000000
Message 10 of 47 (6,547 Views)

Haven't tried that but once again it started working and printed the .pdf.  I'll see how long it lasts this time and will try WPA if the issue resurfaces.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation