Question

Honor Student
Costanza
Message 1 of 13 (8,800 Views)

Wireless Setup on HP Photosmart All in one (C309a) Printer

I have recently purchased a HP Photosmart Premium (c309a) All in one Printer and have had ongoing issues installing it with Wireless connectivity. The first of the problems are that while the printer itself initially detected the wireless router it drops this connection once in idle or on startup, and it does not automatically detect it the next time. Infact I have had to manualy input the SSID and WEP/WPA passphrase as it has more often than not been able to detect the router again by iteself. This is very painfull and a real turnoff. Secondly, when installing the provided SW the printer isn't detected when scanning for wireless devices and is not found when manually typing the SSID. This occurs even when the printer says it detects the router. 

Troubleshooting - Where to start um.....ok I have done the obvious things - power cycle the printer, router and PC. No go. Also downloaded the latest SW from the HP website (as opposed to the CD provided) and resintalled  - No go. Also disabled start up programs in msconfig and added the required exceptions and ports to the Firewall and resintalled - no go. The only thing I haven't tried is manually configuring the IP Address, Subnet on the printers advanced settings and matching it on the PC-Printer settings. I found this process ridiculously time consuming and frustrating and would hate to think what the average user would do in this case. Hardly a simple user friendly process. I have since reverted to connect via ethernet just to get it operational (and before I throw it out the window) nevertheless would appreciate some assistance as the wireless feature was one of the reasons I bought it in the first place.    

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 13 (8,789 Views)

Re: Wireless Setup on HP Photosmart All in one (C309a) Printer

Try manually setting the IP address by reserving an IP address.  What kind of router are you using?  What kind of encryption?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Costanza
Message 3 of 13 (8,776 Views)

I am using a Motorola SBG900 Wirless Surfboard Gateway - supplied with Bigpond Cable. It is set to be using WPA security and have never had a problem with it before whilst connecting any wireless devices such as a laptop, PDA etc.

My feeling is that the wireless functionality of this printer needs some serious work before the next release. And furthermore they should never have released it the way it is as it wouldn't pass 5% of user acceptance tests if using wireless. There are too many complaints on this forum and others about similar problems to suggest that I am not by myself here. Dissapointing considering this is the feature that would be at the top of the list of most purchasing this model. It lets down what could of been a vg printer.

I agree, I think if I want to get this printer working on a wirless network, I will have to set the IP address manually. The problem is the printer refuses to connect to the router now even after it connected a few days ago with no intervention. I have powered down both the router, PC, and printer without any luck yet. I will set the IP address manually first on the printer and see how it goes, then if it connects will see if the PC/router can see the printer during the SW install procedure which has failed >10 times to date.

For now I think I will stick with Ethernet as it is no doubt much faster anyway and will try the wirless setup again in a few days when my patience grows back. Does anyone know differences in speed between USB/Wireless/Ethernet? I know this is dependant on a number of things but just interested in ball park figures here.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 4 of 13 (8,793 Views)

Other than setting a Manual IP on the pritner, you could change the channel of the router to 11 and see if it makes a difference. Some routers have an Automatic channel selection feature, which as I've seen causes wireless connectivity issues also. So change it to 11, set a manual IP, and see how it goes. You can change the router channel by accessing the embedded web page of the router using it's IP address(aka Default Gateway).
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Student
jcharlie
Message 5 of 13 (8,766 Views)

Wireless setup on HP Photosmart all in one, C309a works well as long as I don't want any internet.  It just cuts it out.  Reinstalled onto my new MacBook (wireless) and old iMac without wireless and both computers drop off the internet when I turn on the printer.  To get the internet I have to turn off the Printer, reset the router and check the system preferences just to use the net. If I start up the internet and turn on the printer, the internet stops.  I have rang my provider several times, the apple macs,  I have tried the basic guide suggestions and a few of my own.   Not a happy camper. As a Uni student, i am now way behind with assignments due next week........
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 6 of 13 (8,756 Views)

We've seen this problem before with certain wireless-routers and ISP's.  I think I can help you work around the problem.

What brand of wireless router do you have and who provides your internet service?

Also, what is the IP address of your printer?

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
Randal
Message 7 of 13 (8,459 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem but I am using a Netgear Router (WGR614v6), Comcast Internet. Please tell me what to do.  I have tried wireless to router,  I tried ethernet to router.  Almost everytime I turn on printer I loose internet.  Turn Printer off and I have internet.  Simple as that.  O do not need to reboot or anything.  help

printer address

ip adress 192.168.1.3

subnet mask 255.255.255.0

default gateway 192.168.1.1

Message Edited by Randal on 09-07-2009 08:45 AM
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 8 of 13 (8,450 Views)

When you turn on the printer and cannot browse the internet, try pinging 4.2.2.1 and tell me if that works.

You can do this from the DOS command line prompt (ping 4.2.2.1).

Also, tell me the printer's  default gateway address (by printing the network configuation page from the printer's setup menu).

Finally, what OS are you running and what region of the country do you live in?

( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
Randal
Message 9 of 13 (8,436 Views)

[ Edited ]

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001] Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Printer off
C:\Windows\system32>ping 4.2.2.1
Pinging 4.2.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 4.2.2.1: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=53 Reply from 4.2.2.1: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=53
Reply from 4.2.2.1: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=53 Reply from 4.2.2.1: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=53
Ping statistics for 4.2.2.1: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 24ms, Maximum = 29ms, Average = 26ms

Printer on
C:\Windows\system32>ping 4.2.2.1 Pinging 4.2.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.
Reply from 4.2.2.1: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=53

Above is what I get with Printer off and then on.
HP Network Configuration Page
Defaul Gateway 192.168.1.1
ip address 192.168.1.2
FIRMWARE VAx4FN0850AR
SERAIL MY95MF92R1058R
I am running Vista and live in Michigan.
Now I need to turn off printer to send you this. Should I keep track of the on and offs. Would add to reliablity testing for HP (LOL)
Thanks for your help. I do not have much more hair to spare.

added request to email

Message Edited by Randal on 09-07-2009 10:01 AM
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 10 of 13 (8,433 Views)

OK .. we've seen reports of this before though I don't have much data to work with.  If you don't mind, you might be able to help me solve this.

Can I call you?  If so, please send me your telephone number to this email address:  wireless at hp dot com

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation