Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'd like to know if it's possible to connect an HP Officejet J4580 to a wireless network, and if so, how to go about it.

The documentation provided with my All-in-One indicates it's possible, but refers to a "Wireless Connection Guide", which was not included with my product. The only references I can find to this particular model and wireless connections on the HP website seem to indicate it can only be connected wirelessly to a Mac.

I'm running Windows Vista (32-bit) on an HP Pavilion laptop, with a Linksys WRT54G router. There is one other computer connected to the wireless network (a Gateway PC running Vista 64-bit, if that's relevant).

I watched the video in the stickied thread above, regarding how to connect an All-in-One to a network in Windows XP, but 1) I wasn't given the wireless option during installation (bummer), 2) I'm not really excited about the prospect of installing ALL their fluff software to get this thing working, and 3) I'm not running XP (also kind of a bummer, but whaddyagonnado).

I'd also like to mention that my product didn't come with the USB cable necessary to connect it to my computer. The simple set-up directions imply that this cord was only shipped with the J4680 model, along with the aforementioned "Wireless Connection Guide".  

Is this true? Why on earth would HP neglect to include necessary hardware AND neglect to supply an alternative method? That just strikes me as bad customer service.

Any assistance or commiseration you can offer will be appreciated! Thanks for your time!

Burke

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I'm sorry I haven't been on here for awhile. But wanted to let y'all know that I found the solution: I purchased an "Ethernet coupler-Splitter". Then I was able to connect the dsl phone cord into one of the slots in the splitter, the router cord into the other one, and everything worked: my internet, phone, printer, etc... :). Problem solved. 🙂

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Your printer only has USB connectivity.  It does not have networking capability, either wired or wireless.  You can turn print sharing on on the computer it is attached to or if your router has a USB port you can share it that way.  However, these two methods only share the print function, not scanning.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

HP Document CB783-9001 step 8 says "(EN) Note: For information about connecting the All-in-One using wireless (802.11), see the Wireless Getting Started Guide.

Issues:

1) No amount of manipulation of the console shows my wireless access point

2) There is no USB cable provided, no mention of the cable in the set up card

3) When I tried to install the CD, it went crazy in my CD drive, had to reboot and try again

So dummy me, I did not realize it was possible to buy a non-wireless home printer in 2011. It does have a small note on the box USB not supplied, but each of the three large color  pictures on the box do not show a cable.  It is not the end of the world, I can drive into town and pick up a cable, but the whole reason I bought the printer was to scan and sign some real estate documents. Fortunately while they are time critical, they are critical in terms of days, not hours. However the combination of the documentation errors and the packaging omission is certain to set someone up for failure.

I also noticed it does not say supports System 7, I guess that is the price of being way out in the country, betcha this is last year ( or decade's) model though I did not notice dust on the box, which is my normal tip off. If you don't hear back from me, you can assume it installed. Peace.

HP Recommended

I'm having (been having) a similar problem. I have an "old" computer that uses XP. I do have an All-in-one HP Officejet J4580. I also have a router (for wireless) to hook up my laptop and my desktop to use the internet. My question is: What type of cable do I need to hook into the router (A Cisco linksys router), or is that possible, so I can print directly from my laptop AND my desktop (probably not the same time, though).

I use Windows 7 on my laptop, which was purchased last year.

HP Recommended

DRgn83,

You need an Ethernet cable.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Thanks, but I already have an ethernet cable that hooks into the back of my router.

Well, I solved one problem only leading to another. I bought another coupling (duplex) and a 7' phone cord (extension).

I plugged the extension cord into the coupling (didn't need the extra slot thing) and into the #4 slot.

HP Ofcjet J4580 printer-back

Now I can print from my laptop, but now my cordless phone doesn't work.. anyone know why????:smileymad:

HP Recommended

Hello:

Just added airport express to my Mac (OSX Lion).  Would like to print wirelessly with HP OfficeJet J4580. Attached USB to AE. Adjusted print sharing.  Still shows printer offline.  WIll not print.  When USB connected directly to MAC prints fine. Is it possible to print with wirelessly with this configuration?

Thank You.

HP Recommended

Do you have anything else besides the Express or is your Express acting as your main router?

You will only be able to print to the printer, scanning will not work in this setting.

Finally, let's reset the printing system:

- Go to System Preferences > Print & Fax
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I have 2 wire for DSL/wireless router.  Added AirportExpress to boost signal and enhance connectivity options.  Not sure it was worth it.  Have not been able to get AirPlay to work if AE is not connected via Ethernet.  Thank you for your response.  I will try that.

HP Recommended

Honestly, wireless extenders do odd things unless their base station is of the same brand. 

I am employed by HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.