Question

Honor Student
jsummers
Message 1 of 4 (8,937 Views)

Wireless direct with HP3520 all in one printer

Trying to make the HP3520 all in one use wireless direct.  The PC is an ASUS running windows 7 64 bit.  

On the printer setup wireless .direct (no security).  Installed the software on the PC.  connected via USB and printed succesfully.  The printer shows up as a wireless device on the PC and I can connect to it, however, (with USB disconnected) when I print, the printer shows as off line and the job never reaches the printer.   If I plug in the USB cable the job will print.    The setup (when the print drivers are installed) never really addresses the Wireless direct.  If you tell it you want to setup a wireless connection, it assumes a router.  The other choices are USB or connect later.  How do I let the PC know to direct the output to the Wireless direct connection?

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 2 of 4 (8,913 Views)

Re: Wireless direct with HP3520 all in one printer

Wireless Direct Printing is intended for mobile devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.).

When using Wireless Direct, you will need to connect to the printer's own WiFi network.  If you browse for wireless networks on your computer, you should see one that has HP in the name (and possibly the printer model).  You will need to connect to this network to use Wireless Direct printing.

Wireless Direct Printing is off by default.  To turn it on, you will need to go to Settings>Wireless>Wireless Direct on the printer's display screen.

This site by HP has a little more information regarding Wireless Direct.

If you are wanting to print wirelessly from the computer, I highly recommend using a router to accomplish this as most computers only have one wifi card allowing only one wifi connection.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
jsummers
Message 3 of 4 (8,911 Views)

First, thank you for responding. 

1)  I have connected to the printers WiFi network successfully

2)  Wireless direct printing is on.

3)  my daughters dorm will not allow wireless routers in the room?

The problem still remains.  I connect to the printers WiFi, but the printer still shows up as offline.  The print job will be pending.  If I connect a USB cable it will print. 

The printer seems to still want to route the print job to USB and I dont know how to make it route it to the WiFi.

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 4 of 4 (8,888 Views)

It sounds like the printer is still looking for a USB connection.

Go Start>All Programs>HP>Deskjet 3520 folder.

There should be a convert to a wireless/network installation option. Select this option while connected to the printer's network.

This should tell the computer to look for a network printer instead of a USB connected printer.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation