Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a C4780 that I can't get the wireless connection working.  Via USB, its OK, but want the wireless to work as well.  I've already taken the following steps:

1) Update HP software via Apple Sortware update (i have version 2.16.1)

2) I've run a network config page and I don't have a valid SSID

3) I've looked under my Mac's airport, and I don't see the HP printer listed there

4) I've reset the wireless using the printer's buttons

5) I've tried using the HP setup utlity but after selecting the device to install and pressing "continue" is just sits there - no messages or anything - it just sits there

6) I've gone under the printer's options and selected "WPS" and tried to connect - it only times out after a few minutes

7) The other wireless in the house is OK - no issues with any other devices.

So any suggestions on how to get a SSID on the printer

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi PJH477,

I see you are struggling to get the printer on your wireless network. I can help.

This printer does not have a wireless wizard build into the front panel instead we would typically connect a USB cable from the printer to the computer and run the setup assistant.

Because you  have 10.9 on the Mac, there is no full feature software and drivers, thus you will not have the setup assistant we need to configure the printer. You may be wondering now, well how can I set it up then?  Good question, we are going to restore the printers network back to default and the printer will have its own IP address designed for whats called an Ad Hoc connection (network without a router). We will put the computer on the printers network, and then print a report to get the printers IP address. At this point we can access the embedded web server (EWS) and run the wireless wizard from there. Once the printer is on the home network with the router we can put the computer back on the network and vuala the printer and computer will both be on your network.

To restore network defaults

1. Press the Scan button (it also the Wireless menu button)
  2. Select Wireless Settings
  3. Scroll down and select Restore Network Defaults.  Press Yes to acknowledge
  4. The radio will turn off (the blue LED will go out).  Select Enable Wireless

Put the computer on the printers network (temporary)

1. Click on the Airport symbol on the top left side of the Mac screen
2. Choose the network that look relative to the printer (might say HP setup or some variation)

Print the wireless network test

1. Press the Scan button (it also the Wireless menu button)
  2. Select Wireless Settings
  3. Navigate to Wireless test and select.

The Wireless Network Test prints, look for and note the IP address.

Open an internet broswer (Safari) and enter the IP address into the URL (address bar).

Click on the newtork tab, on the left click on wireless or 802.11.

At this point we are looking fore "start wizard" should be on the right hand side.

c4780.JPG

Once we have successful configured the printer for your network you can put your computer back on your own network.

Now you can add the printer to the System Preferences and print 🙂

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, thanks.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your instructions, but after re-enabling the wireless, I still don't see the printer in Airport (on the top right of my screen, beside the time machine logo).  I see all networks I usually see, but nothing 'HP' related.  I don't believe the printer is broken as it was working OK prior.  Any other suggestions in order to get the IP address of the printer?

Many thanks.

HP Recommended

I was wondering if you ever found a solution.  I am having the exact same problem, same printer, on a Mac.  I am ready to go buy  a new printer because I need this for school.

HP Recommended

Hello, 

I am having the same problem and I have no HP on my airport.  Other networks but no way to connect to the HP.  This is very frustrating.  ANy other suggestions besides buying a new printer?

HP Recommended

Hi TRKKAK,

I can only suggest you configure the printer for your wireless network using a computer that has an operating system the printer can be installed on. Once the printer is on the network you can simply add it to the Mac without the software. Alternatively, you can call HP. HP might be able to offer you a discount on a newer model that is fully compatible with 10.9.

If you are in Canada or US call 800 474 6836, or you can Contact HP Worldwide.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
It has nothing to do with 10.9. I've had that since it came out and never had an issue with the printer. I have no way resetting the printer or getting into the options. There is no choice.
It shouldn't matter where the printer goes I should be able to connect to WiFi. If I have it away to someone who had an HP they wouldn't be able to connect it. I know this because I even tried this with my daughters laptop and still nothing.

I am going to have to buy a new printer. I don't need a discount because it won't be another HP.
Thank you for your time.
HP Recommended

I had a solution that got me connected to my HP C4780 on Mac 10.12.4. My suggestion is to not forget about WPS since that is a very easy method to get your printer on to your network.

In my situation I had an older apple airport extreme which does support WPS. I connected my Mac to the wifi name of my Apple Router. Open  'Airport Utility App' on Mac. From the menu of Airport Utility App choose 'Base Station' > Add WPS Printer.

On HP C4780 press 'Scan' > 'Wireless Menu' > 'WPS' > 'PIN'.

In Airport Utility App choose to use a PIN and enter the PIN provided.  It should tell you success if the devices paired.

On Mac go to System Preferences > 'Printers and Scanners' and click the '+' sign to add a new printer. Your printer should be available via Bonjour now wirelessly if WPS worked. Nice work!

I was even able to connect it to Google Wifi which doesn't support WPS, once I knew the printers ip address of the wifi network card (that's the tricky part) and navigated to it in a browsers URL. Then in HP's Printer Webserver go to the Networking tab and choose to follow the network setup, and choose the Network you want to authenticate with. Since google wifi only uses WPA2 and this printer still supports that, it'll work. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.