Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am trying to connect my HP Officejet 6500 series Wireless printer to my wireless router. he WAP 2  Password has a $ symbol but this is not available on the Key pad of the printer (even in the symbol key) How can I enter the Dollar  symbol "$"

The password is set up by the DSL provider to change it is an act of GOD  (just a comparison)

Has anyone faced this problem did you solve it

Jawahar Rajan

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

You can use the printer software to set up the printer.  Make sure the USB cable is not connected when you start. It will ask for it and use it as a temporary communication vehicle to tell the printer about your network.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

Another option would be to enter the key from the embedded web server in the printer.

If you need more then the brief instructions below let me know. 

Basically you would need to:

1. Reset the printers wireless defaults from the printers network menu

2. Print a wireless config page from the printers network menu

3. Connect your wireless PC to the printers Adhoc network (get that from the config page you just printed)

4. Open a browser on the PC, type in the IP address from the config page

5. Navigate to the network and wireless setup and run the wireless wizard

6. Select your SSID and then enter the passphrase when prompted.

7. Continue the wizard - the printer should connect to your network

8. Re-connect your PC to your wireless network

Your printer should be connected too your network.

Foster

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Sometimes it takes several posts back and forth to get to a solution - please be patient.
I am employed by HP
HP Recommended

Hey TreeFrog, I am having the same problem setting up my HP Officejet 4500 wireless to a router and I saw this post from 2010. I was wondering if you could provide me more information how to set up the printer using my computer. I have a 2011 macbook pro and a apple timecapsule router. Thank you

HP Recommended

I have a similar problem in that my router password uses a $ and there is $ in the display of the HP Photmart C7100 All-in-one printer that I have. Any easy solutions? How do I enter a $ to access my wireless network? Thanks.

HP Recommended

I believe that the C7100 has an ethernet port.  If you temporarily connect the printer via ethernet then you can setup the wireless through the embedded web server in the printer. 

See http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00752019.pdf

page 25 for information about the web server.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Sometimes it takes several posts back and forth to get to a solution - please be patient.
I am employed by HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. 

HP Recommended

I changed the subject as there are many symbols missing from these hp printers. i have read thru all of these questions and responses and i find it very dense and hard to determine what the answer may be. i THINK it was stated that if we connect the ethernet cord (from computer to printer?) that somehow that will allow us to add our hp printer to our wifi but i'm not entirely certain. 

i'm just curious why hp would create anything that didn't allow for all alpha-numerics and symbols that exist on a regular keyboard. in the end, if this doesn't work, i will have to go to the trouble of re-setting my router with a differen password completely which is ridiculous. 

i am truly surprised that this is an issue at all in 2016.... 

HP Recommended

The HP OfficeJet 4650 on-screen setup doesn't have an apostrophe character for the WiFi password entry.  Rather than changing my WiFi password (and then changing it again for every device I use) I followed TreeFrog's directions using the printer's own server to set up the password. This worked perfectly.  Thanks for these instructions and shame on HP for ignoring several valid keyboard characters for password entry.  (There were several options that could have included apostrophe but didn't.)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.