Question

Honor Student
aylmer
Message 1 of 7 (1,182 Views)
Accepted Solution

Wireless printer clashes with wireless broadband connection

I recently bought a C4580 printer which seems to work fine - but every time I turn it on, I lose my internet connection!  The only way to recover it is to turn the printer off, and cycle the power on the wireless router.  My router is a D-link ADSL model, about 5 years old, and may pre-date the arrival of stand-alone wireless printers - could this be the reason?  Before buying a new router, I'd like to be confident that this would solve my problem - any advice would be gratefully received.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 7 (1,177 Views)

Re: Wireless printer clashes with wireless broadband connection

Sometimes DSL providers have more control over the router than the printer likes.

- Unplug the telephone line from the router
- Turn the power off on the router, wait 30 seconds, then turn the power back on.
- Go through the normal process of connecting the printer to the router.
- Now find the IP address of the printer (it should be on the self-test printout), type it into a browser.
- On that screen you will find a Networking Tab, then on the left Wireless, then the IPv4 Tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you know what that is, set an IP outside that range but no higher than 254 (the last number in the address). If you do not know, use the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank
- Finally, plug in the phone line, reboot the router and test.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
aylmer
Message 3 of 7 (1,162 Views)

It all seems to work!  The DHCP range on the router went right up to 254, so I restricted it to 253 and then assigned 254 as a static IP address for the printer; and set the IP address appropriately on the printer, as you suggested.  So far so good - many thanks.

Honor Student
partisan
Message 4 of 7 (1,042 Views)

I have a similar problem

When I connect my new 8500 wireless pro to my network, either wirelessly or by cable, it terminates my computers internet connection. 

I tried to follow your recommendations above, but could not connect when I put the IP address in the browser.

I have:

HP Officejet 8500 wireless Pro

one comp with Windows XP

one with OSX

smc8014w-g router

I am working on the windows comp in firefox.

I ran a netowork test report and passed all diagnostic summary items.

IP address came back as 192.168.0.100

Any reccomendations?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 5 of 7 (1,036 Views)

partisan,

Sorry, but SMC routers are rather non-standard and have known issues with HP printers.  If you have been considering getting a new router, now would be a great time.

If not, search this forum for "SMC" and you will find a lot of posts, few with resolution, however.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
partisan
Message 6 of 7 (1,034 Views)

Thanks for your help, unfortunatly the router is provided by my ISP.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 7 of 7 (1,032 Views)

You can still buy a decent router and put it in line with your SMC, connecting everything to the new router.  Works great.

Did you search for solutions?

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation