Question

Top Student
Danny_Tam
Message 1 of 8 (54,988 Views)

Wireless printing in Windows 7?

I'm having some trouble getting the HP C4599 to work under Windows 7 (x64 if you're wondering) in wireless printing mode. I've ran the installer with compatibility settings under Windows Vista and also ran it as an administrator, but it consistently hangs at "Waiting for SLP reply from 192.168.1.104" in Steps 3/4 of the installer. This happens to both the drivers I download off of HP's website, as well as those provided on the install CD.

I've posted my issues and steps at this thread on the HP forums.

If anyone's found any solutions, it would be great to all post our experiences here, in hopes of finding a temporarily solution before HP releases Windows 7 drivers. I'd recommend viewing my other reply in the thread linked above, as that may save you hours of trouble that I had to go through to no avail.

Cheers,

Danny

Honor Student
HowieP
Message 2 of 8 (54,948 Views)

Re: Wireless printing in Windows 7?

I have the HP 4580 printing wirelessly on Windows 7 as of today on my HP DV5 laptop.  I had the same experience as you described:  I ran the install in Vista compatability mode, as admin and all that, and I kept getting hung up waiting for a reply from the printer.  I did all that yesterday and then got mad and uninstalled all the HP software, drivers and deleted the printer.  Today, It dawned on me that I never joined the workgroup to which my printer and other machines belong.  Same steps as in Vista.

I went to start>right-click computer>properties>change settings next to 'computer, domain, workgroup settings'.  I typed in the name of my workgroup that my XP and Vista machines as well as my printer are all set up to use, and I restarted the Windows 7 machine.  Then I added the printer from the control panel and let Windows 7 find and install a driver.  Restarted once more to be safe, and it printed!

Don't assume you are connected to a workgroup just because you can connect to and view files from your other machines, and because Windows 7 detects the wireless printer.  You must join the workgroup and reboot in order to use the printer wirelessly.

Honor Student
lothodon
Message 3 of 8 (52,862 Views)

the link to your other thread no longer works if it ever did.  i too am stuck where you are and am hoping for help on the matter.  i recall under vista that i had to allow access through my firewall however the entire firewall interface has changed drastically in 7 and the same options are either not available or not easy to find.

mine has nothing to do with a workgroup as i have a single laptop that i want to print with wireless.  no "network" of computers at all.

Honor Student
griffhas
Message 4 of 8 (45,139 Views)

I also have a c4580.  Downloaded the Windows Home Premium 64 bit driver from the HP site. Printer works on the USB cable but not wirelessly.  This is just one laptop (Sony Viao VPCCW21FX) and the one printer.  How can I make the wireless work?

Honor Student
HowieP
Message 5 of 8 (45,117 Views)

The C4580 has a built-in print server, and you need to set it up with the USB cable in your laptop. Use the HP disk so the setup program can connect the printer to your router and get an IP address on your network.  Make sure your wireless router is broadcasting your SSID so the printer will see it during setup!  (make sure to tell it the the correct security key for your router)  Once it is set up, it should work wirelessly with your laptop.

Assuming both your laptop and your printer are connected wirelessly to your network:

If for some reason you can't print wirelessly, open Devices and Printers in Windows 7 (I assume you are using 7) and remove all HP printers that may exist there.  (Drivers will stick around so don't worry.)  Make sure the printer is on then click Add a Printer. Click Add a Network, Wireless or Bluetooth printer.  You will see two printers listed, and you want the second one which has the clean IP address Ex. 192.168.1.102, not the address beginning with http//.   Go through the wizard and make sure NOT to 'share the printer' towards the end as your machine is not the server for the printer...the printer has an onboard server.  Make sure to set it as your defauly printer.  You should be printing wirelessly.

If you have any sort of event in the future which causes the router to reassign IP addresses and you find yourself unable to print, you will need to remove/re-add the printer as above so your laptop will know where to find it.

Hope that helps.

Teacher
kevin_techno
Message 6 of 8 (37,915 Views)

[ Edited ]

If you are setting up a wireless printer in Windows 7 then there may be different issues that can appear while installation. If the status of your printer is offline then you have to reinstall the drivers of printer on Windows 7-based system. [Text removed] Hope this helps you.

Teacher
mancy_techno
Message 7 of 8 (25,472 Views)

Hi,

During certain cases, you may have completed the physical integration perfectly. But still you may not be able to print anything. This can be due to the absence of a driver installed on your system. The problem can easily be averted, if you are installing the driver corresponding to the manufacturer. You can ensure that the version corresponds to the exact version of the printer series as well.

To manually install a printer driver

1.    Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button , and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.

2.    Right-click the printer you want to update, and then click Printer properties.

3.    Click the Advanced tab.

4.    Click New Driver, and then follow the instructions in the Add Printer Driver wizard.

To download HP printer driver go to Hewlett Packard - Enter the product name / number. Be sure to check the additional information, like how to install the driver or troubleshooting guides. 

Get more information to fix  Wireless Printing in Windows 7 :

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/wireless-printing-with-windows...

http://printers.iyogi.com/driver-support/windows-7-printer-drivers.html

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-resources-windows-7-printer-drivers-printer-working/ 

Hope this information helps you

Set peace of mind as your highest goal,and organize your life around it.
Student
goldphish96
Message 8 of 8 (16,559 Views)

[ Edited ]

So, I've done all those things listed on this thread.. Uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted, reset.. My C4599 was given a static IP on the wireless, I used the USB to do the full install and i get a message that the Laptop cannot communicate with the printer at the correct IP address.. It sees the printer on the network, but won't talk to it... suggests that I open 3 different ports via the firewall in Win7, done, added inbound and outbound rules.. still says i cannot communicate with the printer at the correct IP..

It worked fine until the last round of MS Patches.. did microsoft change some code?

Added Details: 1 laptop (newer model HP) does communicate wirelessly after haveing to do a reinstall of the HP tools and software, other laptop (older model) no is the above issue. No changes to the Bufflo router i'm using, no changes to security software (laptop is using MS Security) and the only changes would be the Patches from Microsoft..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation