Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi every one!

I have had my HP Deskjet 3050A - J611 wireless printer set up too times before on two different networks.

But I have now moved and deed to set it up again....

Originally through the push button method it was still trying to connect to my old SSID so I set every thing back to original defaults.

But now I am getting an error code saying I need to Turn on my Wireless radio on the printer.
To the best of my knowledge i have: Setup>Wireless>Wireless settings> wireless on/off

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

mruttle,

If you are looking to perform the alternate step to get the new network information, then no.

The core of the issue is that the printer indicates the wireless radio is off and there is no network name for your printer.  The SSID of the printer, when the network is present, should have HP in the name making it standout from other networks.  

On the printer, go to Wireless>Settings>Restore Network Defaults.  Accept the prompt to reset the default settings.

Most printers will disable the wireless radio as a default setting.  Press the wireless button again.  If it says turn on in the lower right corner, go ahead and select that option.

Now, go to the computer and search for a wireless network.  Is there a network name that has HP in it or reflects your model printer?  If so, connect to that network and open a web browser and go to 192.168.223.1.  From there, the earlier steps should work.

Let me know what happens.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

It sounds like the printer is not registering the new setting.

With the printer on, disconnect the power cord from the wall and printer for 1 minute.  Then, reconnect the power cord to the wall outlet and the printer.

Once it is back on, try to enable the wireless radio again and set it up using the WPS option.  

If you have a wireless device (computer, tablet, etc.) you do not mind taking off the network, there may be another way to get it on the network if WPS does not work.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Un plugging and then replugging it in has not done anything...

Yes I have a laptop that connects fine with wi-fi. What is this other method you mentioned?

Thanks

HP Recommended

The alternative method to connected a USB to wireless printer (e.g. Deskjet 3050A, Deskjet 3520) is in this post.

If the address 192.168.223.1 does not work, the Deskjet 3050A may work with a different IP address using the format of 169.254.X.X.  To get the 169.254.X.X address, go to Wireless>Print Reports>Configuration with a wireless device connected to the printer's network (network name is usually hpsetup).  

However, there may be an issue with the wireless radio since you are getting the same message as before.  

Run a wireless test by going to Wireless>Print Reports>Wireless Test.

It will print the results.  Did it show anything as failed?

Signature
HP Recommended

Hi, I am experiencing the same issue. It says   >wireless

-Wireless on                                          FAIL

Also says wireless radio on your HP printer is turned off

HP Recommended

Hi Cloud

Im not sure how to folow your steps in the other post on using the USB conection.

HP Recommended

mruttle,

I will try to give a more detailed walk through.  This alternate way does not use the USB cable at all.  This is to bypass the USB to wireless requirement of this printer since the software is not detecting it to setup the wireless properly.  This is a completely separate process from what has been done previously.

1.  Connect a wireless device to the printer's network.  This can be a computer if you prefer, it just needs wireless capability.  There will be a network for the printer that has HP, setup, and possibly the printer's model in the name.  It may be called HPSETUP.  This step is crucial for this process to work.

2.  Open a web browser on the wireless device.  Enter 192.168.223.1 in the address bar as if you were going to the site.  The printer status page should load.

If 192.168.223.1 does not work, try this.  On the printer, go to Wireless>Printer Reports>Configuration.  This report should have a 169.254.X.X.  Use this address instead of 192.168.223.1.

3.  I don't have a Deskjet 3050A to test with, but the printer status page should look like the screenshot below.

status_page.JPG

4.  Click on Network at the top to get to this screen.

network_page.JPG

5.  Click on Wireless Setup Wizard on the left to get this screen.

setup_wizard.JPG

6.Click on Start Wizard and it will search for networks.  Select your network and connect to it as you would any other device.  If your network has a password, it will ask for it.

These steps should get the printer connected to the wireless network.  Now, install the printer again on the Mac and it should find it without any issue.  The USB cable would not be used at all in this case.

Signature
HP Recommended

beveric,

Is the printer a Deskjet 3050A?

What brand and model is the router?

Have you tried going to Wireless>Settings>Enable/Disable Wireless?  If it shows Enable Wireless as the option, then it has been disabled. 

Signature
HP Recommended
Yes, it is a 3050A, the router is a Belkin N450. I was able to print a diagnostic, that read, no connection so none of the other tests were performed. But also said turn on wireless radio. We went into settings but found nothing on wireless radio. We used a Cisco router before, but it went out, bought this one & nothing, my wife goes to college, but cannot get it to connect. Diagnostic showed it but...
HP Recommended

beveric,

Press the wireless button and select settings.  

From there, the first menu option should regard the wireless radio.  It will either say enable or disable wireless or wireless with the on/off status to the right.

If it says enable wireless, then the wireless radio is off.  Selecting this option will turn it on.  If it says Wireless Off, then it is off and selecting this will give the option to turn it on.

Let me know what happens.

Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.