Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi All,

I've just bought subj. printer yesterday and been unable to set up via the current wireless @ home. Below is the trouble appearing in the screen and i have tried to follow several times but it still happened. 

*** quoted

Your printer has limited connectivity. Your printer is using IP address 169.254.108.17, which is not compatible with the IP address 192.168.0.100 of the PC. Power off your printer and then power on and wait 60 sec for the printer to acquire an IP address. Then click Retry.

*** unquoted

I'm using th wireless router Dlink DIR 615 and below is the figures that i get out from PC and the printer:

PC:

IP add: 192.168.0.100

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 192.168.0.1

Printer:

IP add: 169.254.108.17

Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

Default gateway: 0.0.0.0

Thank you All

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yeap, i have actally overlooked the "Hpsetup" wireless as not rolling down to see all available wireless network.......So sorry !!!

That's great now and i have succeeded to install the wireless option. Again, really appreciate your detailed guidance as well as assistance.

Have a good day ahead and bye for now.  

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended
Have you run the Wireless Setup Wizard from the front panel of the printer?  Do that.
I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended
Thanks for your swift reply. Yes, i did run the Wireless Setup Wizard from the front panel of the printer.
HP Recommended

Please describe your network. Is the @home a DSL modem/router combo that you rent from your ISP?  What brand is it? 

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended
Yeap, thta's right. It is Time Warner cable service and the modem is RGA RG2846 model DCM325. Pls guide
HP Recommended

OK, I thought so.  Rented modem/router combos can be troublesome because often the ISP insists on non-standard ways of doing things.

I think the best course of action for us is to tell the printer about your wireless network directly.  First, can you find an IP address outside the router's DHCP range that is not being used?  If you don't understand, don't do step 5 below for now.

Do this:

1. Connect an ethernet cable between your computer and your printer directly.
  2. In a web browser type its IP address (169.254.108.17).  You will see the printer's internal web server.
  3. Go to the Networking tab, 802,11 (on the left), Advanced tab.
  4. Type in the information about your new password, etc.  But first....before you leave....
  5. Go to the IPv4 Configuration tab and set a manual IP address for the printer (192.168.0.XXX), subnet of 255.255.255.0, gateway and DNS are both your router's IP address (probably your printer's IP only with a "1" after the last dot instead of what the printer has).
  6. Click "Apply".
I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I've typed the IP add. http://169.254.108.17 to access into the printer's internal web server but the sceen show "Internet ...

Moreover, i can not find the IP address outside the router's DHCP range that is not being used thus may not find the gateway and DNS of the current router's IP address.

I hope you may assist to enlighten (as i am not good @ the wireless set - up at all).

Thank you very much in advance.

HP Recommended

Did you connect an ethernet cable to the printer?  If that did not work, temporarily shut down your wireless card on your computer.

Your computer will only find the printer's strange IP with a direct connection.

An alternative here is to set the printer up for USB connection and then follow the steps in the manual for a wireless connection. 

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

yes, i did connect the ethernet cable directly from the PC to the printer as well as disable the current wireless but it still happened. M/w, it's okay to set up this printer via USB cable but when i tried to set up the wireless following the steps in the manual for a wireless connection, the problem happened (as mentioned in the 1st post).

Is there any other solutions/advice. Pls assist.

Thank you

HP Recommended

I am not giving up yet, but I am starting to suspect you have a bad wireless radio in your printer.  Is the wireless light on on the printer?

Let's try a couple of more things before we give up, though.

The printer broadcasts an ad-hoc (direct device-to-device) wireless signal that you should be able to attach to.  It is called "hpsetup".

Make sure your computer is enabled to talk to ad-hoc networks (need help?)

Attach to 'hpsetup' (no password) and go to 169.254.108.17 in your browser.

Follow directions above to configure the wireless. 

I am employed by HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.