Question

Honor Student
hpred
Message 1 of 8 (15,908 Views)

Wireless setup problem for HP Officejet J6480 All - in - One printer

I can not get my printer setup wirelessly.  When I send a print job to it, the message comes back, printer offline. 

I can hook up the USB cable and it prints fine.  I installed the software on my IMac as instructed.  I used the HP Printer manager.  My IMac is setup with the airport and I have a wireless router.

Through the setup button on the printer I printed off the "wireless network test report" and  the "HP network configuration" page.  They show no errors.

Can anyone help me out? 

I need to be able to wirelessly print from my IMac, a Gateway desktop, a Dell laptop and a Toshiba laptop. 

Distinguished Professor
Charles001
Message 2 of 8 (15,901 Views)

Re: Wireless setup problem for HP Officejet J6480 All - in - One printer

First remove that USB cable from the printer. I think it can be connected via USB or network, not at the same time though.

Does the printed network configuration page show a good ip address?

Did you choose to install it as "networked" not "local" - you said using usb cable prints fine - that means at least on that computer, you installed as a "local via USB" printer, you need to reinstall the driver and identify it as a network printer.

======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Student
k2316
Message 3 of 8 (7,995 Views)

The issue I have is when I'm trying to install the printer as a wireless printer on a second desktop.  During the installation I am prompted to temporarily connect the printer using the USB connection so the settings can be transferred to the second computer.  While it's not that hard to do this with a notebook, it seems unreasonable to move the printer to the other desktop, especially when you are in an office where others use the printer.  Is there a way to install my printer (officejet 6480) without physically connecting it to the second computer using USB?

Student
arhoerle
Message 4 of 8 (6,766 Views)

When I try to print my computer sends an error message.  I have installed the latest driver but still get the same message when trying to print.

Honor Student
finb
Message 5 of 8 (5,123 Views)

where do i get a book on officejetj6480 all in one

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 6 of 8 (4,788 Views)

You can find the manuals here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3635378&

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
Student
Eddieboysteady
Message 7 of 8 (3,624 Views)

I have a HP J6480 All-in-one and have the printer connected wireless, but I can not get my fax to respond wireless,

What do I need to do?

Ed

Honor Student
Al_Loucks
Message 8 of 8 (975 Views)

connecting Wireless to HP j6480 printer

Problem is when I go to menu and press wireless network printer option. It’s just press menu then use the arrow keys on each side of the OK button. Then press down to Wireless Network Wizard. Press the OK button. I think the Wireless Network Wizard is the third option down when you are in the Wizard. It will then ask you for the wep for your router. I have the Verizon Jet pack from Verizon. But I assume you could use any router. My router wep was all numbers for example 99000627xxxxx all numbers. I tried and tried and kept putting in the wep but it kept coming back wrong wep code. What I did not watch was the numbers I was putting in were wrong. For example when I was putting in 990000627XXXXX that was not being put in. What was being put in was something like ypt$&^ etc. I did not know when you were putting in the numbers you had to keep pushing on the 9 key until a nine came up, then it would go to the next number you had to put in. You had to do the same for the second, third, fourth and etc until you entered all of the code. Then the wireless router connected. Why does someone not tell you that.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation