Question

Honor Student
pdxteresa
Message 1 of 9 (5,585 Views)

Wirelessly connecting HP Photosmart 7510 printer to 64-bit Windows 7 computer

I'm setting up a new printer, and I have never printed wirelessly before. The printer is connected to the wireless network, but the computer can't find it. The printer's wireless network test results show that wireless is working. When I install the HP photosmart software on the computer, and it gets to the "Network Check" window, it just stalls there without finding any printers. Obviously, the computer is connected to the wireless network because I'm posting this online. Seems like the problem is with the printer driver software? I also tried downloading the Home Network Diagnostic Utility. From there I was able to go to the printer page and print a test page. However, I still can't print anything from the computer. If I try to add a printer in the control panel, when I search for network printers the same thing happens. It just stalls there without finding anything. Using task manager to end the program is the only way to close the window once it gets stuck. Any ideas?

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 9 (5,553 Views)

Re: Wirelessly connecting HP Photosmart 7510 printer to 64-bit Windows 7 computer

Hi,

Make sure you are connected to your own network.

It is common that the laptop may switch to another open network in your area..

You may run the Home Network Diagnostic Utility again, click the Advanced options and verify the network you are corrently connected to.

Additionally, click Display Detected Firewalls and verify there is no firewall software who might blick the connection.

If you are not able to disable it, please clarify which firewall software you are using.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
pdxteresa
Message 3 of 9 (5,486 Views)

Re: Wirelessly connecting HP Photosmart 7510 printer to 64-bit Windows 7 computer

The computer and printer are connected to the same network. My computer has a virus that has disabled the windows firewall. I suspect it is probably related to the problem. Until I can get that off my computer, I connected a USB cord to the printer.

Student
mjs10
Message 4 of 9 (5,286 Views)

I just bought this printer and I am having the identical set of issues.

No firewall, wireless working fine, printer connected, can't connect PC to printer, can only print test page via wireless diagnostic tool etc...

Did you solve for this? How?

Spent an hour with HP tech support to no avail.

I am ready to take this printer back tomorrow morning.

Honor Student
pdxteresa
Message 5 of 9 (5,278 Views)

My computer had a virus on it. Once I got that removed at a repair shop, it connected wirelessly to the printer just fine.

Honor Student
Metalvoc
Message 6 of 9 (5,215 Views)

I am also unable to print to my 7510 via the wireless. Both the printer, and all 3 computers that I have tested are on the same network. I am unable to print from any of them. If I try to print, I get the pop-up message that I am "Unable to Communicate with Printer"

I have tried to disconnect the printer, and re-connect to the same wireless network. I keep getting the same IP address when I connect, but I am unable to ping that IP address successfully. The Wireless Network Test Results printout shows the "wireless on", "wireless working", and "connected" as "PASS". disconnected count in the last hour, and last 24 hours is 0.

I have tried to restart all of the computers, with the same result. Re-establishing the wireless connection on the printers had no effect, either.

Is there a firmware, or other update that can be done with this printer? I have had it for only a couple weeks, and it creates great photos, but I can't keep it if it won't stay connected.

Honor Student
Metalvoc
Message 7 of 9 (5,211 Views)

AN IMPORTANT UPDATE!

I had turned off my virus protection and firewall, and was still unable to connect to the printer, or ping it. 

I could successfully ping the printer from my router, so I turned the router off and back on, re-configured the wireless setup on the printer, and I am able to connect and print again!

Even though I could connect the printer to the router, and all of my computers were connected to the internet, something on the router was preventing me from connecting to the printer that was connected to the same network.

So I've learned that I have a printer that works fine, but I own a crappy router. Hopefully this can help someone else.

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 8 of 9 (5,194 Views)

I would make sure you have the latest software located here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5070...

I would also try a couple of the utilities located on this page, such as the print diagnostic and network diagnostic utilities.

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
Student
tbelle
Message 9 of 9 (1,268 Views)

I had the same issue! I spent an hour of my life that I'll never get back trying to use the diagnostic tools and reconfiguring the wireless connection on the printer etc. Then I went on the forum and read your suggestion of turning the router on and off and 5 minutes later my problem was solved! I am eternally greatful.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation