Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have attempted to install a hp photosmart wireless B109n-z printer but have failed.

In the wireless Network Test report it states.

Your HP printer cannot find your access point. Check you access point is powered on. Check that your HP Printer network name (SSID) matches your access point network name SSID exactly.

Even when i enter the SSID manually into the setup it is still not recognised.  It can not find my systems network settings. and fails in the scan.

Diagnostic Summary

Wireless On - Pass, Wireless working, pass, Network Name (SSID) found Fail, Security (Pass), Wireless Networks Detected 2, Download count 4.

Configuration Summary

Network name (SSID) hpsetup, IP address not applicable etc.

Under the Network configuraiton page, it find my network SSID

BTVOYAGER2100-2F Channel 1, Privacy RSN, Auth WPA-PSK, Encrypt AES/TKIP.

Even though it is the default, it is unique and is not the same SSID as my neighbour.

Any help greatfully received.

Already switched off windows firewall (now on) as had no effect.

Also have AVG antivirus running but don't think has firewall.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

FYI. I also restored the default settings on the printer.

HP Recommended

My router is a BT voyager 2100

Within the HP Network Configuration Page it has the following info.

General Info

Network Status - Offline, Active Connection Type - None, URL(s) for Embedded Web Serve - http://0.0.0.0, Firmware revision -TPM1FN0927AR, Hostname - HP52AC66, Serial Number -MY9AR421XW05C8, Admin PAssword - Not set.

902.11 Wireless

Harware Address (MAC) - ID is provided, Status Disconnected.

Port9100

Status enabled

mDNS

Status enabled

SLP

Status enabled.

HP Recommended

Forogt to mention running Windows XP home edition

HP Recommended

Have you tried installing the HP software?  It should be able to help you configure your printer (via a USB cable). 

If that doesn't help there is a utility that might also help you troubleshoot the problem (from the PC).  It is called the NDU (Network Diagnostic Utility).

Here is the direct link for NDU:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloa dIndex?softwareitem=mp-74066-3&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us...

Here is the document which tells you how to use NDU

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02073861

Let me know how it is going.

Foster

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Sometimes it takes several posts back and forth to get to a solution - please be patient.
I am employed by HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the utility but unfortunately it did not help diagnose the problem.  It is basically finding the same kind of issue.

It finds the network I use (and associated SSID name) correctly.  It then tries to scan and find the printer on the network. It can not see the printer.  I click not listed. It then gives me my SSID, Security type and Key (which I already know and it tells me to "run the wireless setup for the printer, refer to the setup instructions or Users manual that came with the printer."

I have run the manufacturers utility on several occassions and it can not see the printer (it prompts me to connect USB cable (which I assume is the was the printer is supposedly setup)), detects the cable is plugged in and progresses and then returns to the original error posted before (ie. can not fin printer).

I have not setup my printer at the printer end (can't see how to do it, and I have assumed the USB connection is suppossed to do this.) As previously posted. my printer is "logging on" to the default "hpsetup" SSID.

Any help greatfully received.  Might need to return the printer if wireless does not work (I have another working USB printer so the new printer does not help). 

HP Recommended

I'm trying to determine if your printers radio is on and working.

During the software install you should have been presented a screen with the option to 'Select your Wireless Network Name (SSID)'.

Were you presented a list of Wireless Networks on that screen.  If so was your network listed? 

or

Did you print the HP Network Configuration Page and did it list the networks discovered (was yours in the list?)

Foster

Sometimes it takes several posts back and forth to get to a solution - please be patient.
I am employed by HP
HP Recommended

In your reply to your questions:

I was presented with a list of wireless Network Names (SSID).  However, it did not find any networks. I was given the option to rescan (which I did) nothing was found, or alternatively add the SSID manually (which I did, and it could not find the SSID which was typed in correctly).

Your second question, my network (and my neighbours) is listed at the bottom of the HP Network Configuration Page that I printed out. 

I am confident that the printer has it's radio on.  What I think is wrong (as mentioned in my previous posts) is that the printer is setup to logon to HP setup, and the utility is not offering my the choice to setup my SSID even though the printer can see it!

Again any help appreciated

HP Recommended

Sounds like the printer sees your network but that information is not getting to the software installer (via the USB connection).

Is your XP Home service pack 3?  I believe service pack 3 is required.

Foster

I am employed by HP
HP Recommended

I have SP3 installed on my computer.  In the off chance I was not up to date with any other patches, I ran the microsoft update utility and it stated by system was up to date.  However, when I read the latest reply to my issue, I did think the solution could have fixed my issue as the person had clearly read all my previous posts and submitted information, and suggested a fix....but unfortunately it has not worked as SP3 is already installed

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.