automating scantopcactivationapp.exe ? (6973 Views)
Honor Student
ArthurGautesen
Message 1 of 5 (6,973 Views)

automating scantopcactivationapp.exe ?

I have an HP Photosmart Plus B210 Series printer, connected to one computer through USB, but also 3 other computers are using it via wireless.

I would like to have the printer recognize all 4 computers on the printer scan to computer menu whenever the computers are on. The one connected to USB does this automatically, but for the other three I have to manually run the

HP Photosmart Plus B210 Series.exe application, and then manually click the "Activate Scan to Computer" link.

The delimna:

If I just include the "ScanToPCActivationApp.exe" into the startup, it errors the connection process.

Am I missing a setting on the ScanToPCActivationApp.exe to have it run without manually starting the process each time any computer turns on?? Or is there a different way to automate the connection between so the printer recognizes the other computers when they turn on?

Honor Student
jonnyollet
Message 2 of 5 (6,912 Views)

Re: automating scantopcactivationapp.exe ?

Hi there, I am having the same problem and was wondering if you managed to find a workaround to this and have the Scan to Computer autostart?

Honor Student
ArthurGautesen
Message 3 of 5 (6,789 Views)

I have not found an answer yet, but I'm still searching

Honor Student
NTech
Message 4 of 5 (6,755 Views)

The path and executable alone is not enough. See Activate Scan to Computer? Officejet 6500A Plus http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-faxing-and-copying/Activate-Scan-to-Computer-Officejet-6500A-P... and HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus - How to enable scan to computer? http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-faxing-and-copying/HP-Officejet-Pro-8500A-Plus-How-to-enable-s....

Long story short: Scan to Computer over USB is automatic, Scan to Computer over network (wired or wireless) requires this ScanToPCActivationApp.exe program with extra command line options to specify which scanning device to set up (in case there were multiple). If the shortcut isn't on your desktop any more look in the Start Menu for a copy there. The last resort is Devices and Printers dialog for your particular printer which has a Scanner Actions > Activate Scan to Computer link.

Putting a copy of a working shortcut in the Startup would help Activate every time the use logs on.

Also note, as others have said, if the PC or the device go to sleep the connection is broken and must be activated again either by opening the system tray icon for ScanToPCActivationApp.exe or by re-running one of the shortcuts with the proper command line options.

Student
APB4Linux
Message 5 of 5 (6,747 Views)

The full argument for your Startup shortcut "target" is:

"C:\Program Files\HP\HP Officejet 6500 E710a-f\Bin\ScanToPCActivationApp.exe" -deviceID CN########:NW -scfn "HP Officejet 6500 E710a-f (NET)"

You can find the device ID CN######## on the Ports tab of the printer properties pop-up in Windows.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation