Question

Honor Student
Linmart
Message 1 of 9 (21,407 Views)
Accepted Solution

black ink cartridge won't print

When putting in a new black ink cartridge the printer shows it is there and full of new ink but when printing it won't use it. It happened the last time I put in the black ink cartridge and I got it to finally work but don't remember what I did. Why is this happening?

Honor Student
Linmart
Message 2 of 9 (21,399 Views)

Re: black ink cartridge won't print

After reading many many posts I see this is a common problem that when replacing the black ink cartridge it no longer works. I've tried all the self help problems and none of them work. HP needs to figure out why this is happening. I am wasting so much time on this. I have a Photosmart C510 series, I was in the middle of printing when the black ink ran out and I immediately changed the cartridge to keep printing and NO BLACK INK came out I tried a second cartridge NO BLACK INK came out. How could the print head be clogged when it was just working, I've cleaned it with a qtip with alcohol and made sure the little vent hole is open and clean. This is taking all day I now wasted all my color ink with print head cleaning. There has to be something wrong for so many people posting NO BLACK INK printing on so many different printers. HELP I need to get back to printing.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 3 of 9 (21,381 Views)

With the black ink not printing like that, there are only a few things you can try, and it sounds like you've done most of them. If the steps in the document linked below didn't help, then you could do a physical printhead cleaning. Bob_Headrick gave the steps for doing that in the post linked below. If none of that is working, you can either replace the printhead by contacting HP tech support, or you will need to replace the printer. If you are still in warranty, HP may replace the printer at no cost to you. I'll link the information to get in touch with them below. The link will take you to a form to fill out. Once you fill it out and it is processed, it will give you the printers warranty information, a case number, and the phone number to call.

HP Technical Support Case Call Form:
http://goo.gl/w7Hgh

Troubleshooting Print Quality Issues:
http://goo.gl/FHypA

Physical Printhead Cleaning:
http://goo.gl/DfroJ
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Student
HPuserBob
Message 4 of 9 (21,237 Views)

I'm having the same problem with a year-old 6500A (710n); just replaced the black ink cartridge with a new HP 920 XL; it worked for several copies, then black stopped printing completely (colors remain okay).  No help from the typical maintenance efforts, including checking the vent hole, etc.  I have not yet tried a second new cartridge; will HP cover cartridge replacement costs under warrantee if that is the problem, or am I stuck with a defective printer?

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 5 of 9 (21,222 Views)

HP cartridges come with a warranty like a printer does. If you replace the cartridge and the problem resolves, then this would indicate that the problem resides with the print cartridge itself.

If replacing the cartridge is able to resolve the problem, then I would advise contacting HP Tech Support at 1-800-474-6836 if you are in US/Canada about cartridge replacement.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Honor Student
szam
Message 6 of 9 (21,041 Views)

Just fixed an issue with my HP Photosmart C6150 All-In-One printer. After installing a new Black ink, I received an error message stating: Install new black ink cartridge or click continue and it will use other colors and simulate black.

Printing using this method depletes the rest of your colors, cyan mainly, and is counter cost effective.

The trick to fixing this error is, disconnecting the device from the wall while on. Don't think unpluging from behind the printer is the same, it's not.

-Wait 1 minute, then reconnect power. This will kill all power and refresh its power to printer completely and it worked like a charm.

Back to using black with no more windows asking to replace soon.

Please note my printer uses an adapter with a power cord to wall (2-cord plug-n-power system), which is what came standard with printer. It is not a direct plug in cord.

Good luck hope this helps!

Szam

Honor Student
szam
Message 7 of 9 (21,040 Views)

Just fixed an issue with my HP Photosmart C6150 All-In-One printer. After installing a new Black ink, I received an error message stating: Install new black ink cartridge or click continue and it will use other colors and simulate black.

Printing using this method depletes the rest of your colors, cyan mainly, and is counter cost effective.

The trick to fixing this error is, disconnecting the device from the wall while on. Don't think unpluging from behind the printer is the same, it's not.

-Wait 1 minute, then reconnect power. This will kill all power and refresh its power to printer completely and it worked like a charm.

Back to using black with no more windows asking to replace soon.

Please note my printer uses an adapter with a power cord to wall (2-cord plug-n-power system), which is what came standard with printer. It is not a direct plug in cord.

Good luck hope this helps!

Szam
Honor Student
cms071959
Message 8 of 9 (20,837 Views)

Black cartridge started streaking, then stopped working completely.  It showed to be 2/3 full. Tried everything HP suggested on 3 different cartridges (2 from sealed packages) and still nothing printed in black.  Forum suggested soaking in warm water.  This produced a very faint printout.  Bright idea... Slowly added filtered warm water through the fill hole in top.  Problem solved.  It worked the first time.  I suspect these cartridges dry up over time in storage, even in the sealed packaging.

Retired
Antonius_L
Message 9 of 9 (20,026 Views)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation