Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've tried just about all suggested solutions but still a no-go....Ended up buying a new Canon 4/1 printer as a stop-gap for less than the ink on the C309a..still trying to get the HP to work but about to give up...It wont work hooked up directly either...maybe time for the re-cycle truck...Thanks for the tips though....Print On! 

HP Recommended

Tried all suggestions...still a no-go...won't work hooked up directly either...time for the re-cycle truck...

HP Recommended

HEY...if anone fixes there printer I have a set of NEW clear refillable ink cartridges i just bought for mind a week before it broke and i got rid of it...They have a little door to easily replace the ink and there clear to see the level...30 bucks and there yours...gimme a shout at [Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended

Well, I'm sorry to say, the card in the printer is the problem. Or so I have been told. The one nice thing about this printer is that you have 3 ways to use it. One the wireless, but when it stops working then you can either do a direct hook up using the usb, or you can hook it directly to your router and then use it as a network printer. I tried all three, and I have to say the response time for printing worked the best when it was hooked to the router. I let my Virus software know it was part of the network and the printer is printing just fine. So now all devices in the house can print to the printer. Even if you use Google  to print items from a cell phone it works just fine. It is a older printer so the E print functions that the newer printer don't quite work the same. But it can still be done with a little tweaking. so to make a long story short if you have a Router, get a long network cable and hook it up. Then totally uninstal the printer and then reinstall the driver. Tell it you are connecting via  a network connection. Believe me, the printer works best hooked up this way. Print time, scanner funchtions, they all work better. Trust me.  Wireless is nice, but it is slow. I used to send items to print and it would take almost 2 , 3 minutes for the status to reflect that the items were printing.  And with the USB connection it was also slow, but then nothing else could use the printer. But when it is hooked to the routher, everything can use it. And now it is almost instant. I know this may not be the answer you want. But the printer still has many years left before it is not any good for what you purchased it for. As long as you can still fax when you need to. And the Scanner and Copier still work. Then use the network connection through your router. I believe you will be happier with the response and speed of printing.

I think if I ever do get another printer, I will still make sure it has network hook up capabilities. Wireless, is fine but slow and over rated when it comes to heavy use. And I use mine all the time. Good luck to you!.

LAURA LEZLIE BASS
HP Recommended

Thanks...Will give that router hookup a try....

HP Recommended

They tell you to contact customer support.  That is useless.  I learned on this forum that they had a recall on this.  The individual I spoke with today doesn't understand the difference between a warranty and a recall.  If a company recalls an item it is incumbent upon them contacting their customers, which they never did.  They will tell you that the recall has expired.  Wouldn't GM like to be able to do that!!  

I use my printer with a MAC running Maverick.  The support person told me that there is no update to make the printer work with that operating system.  They then insisted that it was a hardware issue and the there was nothing they could do as it was outside the warranty.  DO NOT BELIEVE THEM!!!!  THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!!!  THEY WILL TRY TO SELL YOU A NEW PRINTER!!!.

After spending some time on the phone with tech support, it became clear to me that they do not know how to install their own product.  I happened to see a post where another individual was having the same problem and they had some tech that was working on their laptop merely push a few buttons and they got the printer to work.  Therefore, when I had been sufficiently frustrated by the tech's lack of knowledge, I went in to my settings on my MAC, running Maverick, and contrary to what the tech told me, I got the printer working wirelessly, no thanks to them.  I'm not sure about a Windows machine, but on the MAC I installed the printer, checked the box to share the printer, and on the third page clicked the box next to the printer and said to share with everyone.  That is all it took.

So don't let them tell you that you have a hardware problem.  They don't know what they are talking about.  They are just trying to sell you a new printer.

HP Recommended

Well speaking from my own experience there is a difference between setting up your printer to work wireless and the hardware in the printer being able to connect to the network. In my printer there was a legitimate glitch internally. Sometimes when doing a hard reboot it would tell you to unplug the usb cable so that it could work wireless and it would. Then out of no where it would stop working. Keep in mind, none of the settings had been changed.

So that is when I just plugged in a Ethernet cable into my router and problem solved. I really got better response time on printing jobs when I did that. I was able to get a lot more years out of my printer before it finally died. And yes HP gave me a great deal on a upgrade.

I have to say I also agree with you statement about them being knowledgeable about different computer systems. Remember that portion of tech support only deals with printers and not the computers. I have always found that it sometimes helps to delete the printer from your computer and remove all software. Restart the machine and then reinstall the complete software.

But this Wireless radio is a legitimate hardware issue. I am glad to hear they finally did a recall, if I had taken it to Best Buy they would have just given me a gift card and told me to get a new printer. Especially since i bought the printer there and had the extended plan. But in my case I had a new error beyond this error. My printer had really died.

LAURA LEZLIE BASS
HP Recommended

Apologies for not replying sooner.

If the display on the front of your printer is off, swipe your finger across the display to  activate it.

The following options should be on-screen:

Photo/Copy/Scan/Snapfish

Scroll to the right by tapping the illuminated white triangle to the immediate right of the display.

The following options should be on-screem:

Quick Forms/Ink/Setup

Tap the Setup option, then select Network.

Select Wireless Radio, then toggle the On/Off selector, with it left in the On position.

I was about to return the printer to the retailer, but felt it was worth a few seconds to try playing with the "switch".

It worked for me  :-]

Cheers, eh.

C.C.

HP Recommended

Restoring network to factory settings fixed my problem immediately!!

THANKS!!!!

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. I have: power the unit off and back on, turned the wireless radio off and back on and have also turned the printer off and back on holding the # & 6 keys. The test report still shows a FAIL. 

Several years ago, I had the same problem and found an used C309a on Ebay. I paid $30 to have the wifi card removed and sent to me. That worked until my latest fiasco with this printer. Even when I had the original problem, my printer was less than two years old and I was unable to buy a replacement wireless card from HP. I have used HP printers for years, but would never buy a HP printer again.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.