Question

Tutor
lvrkight6481
Message 1 of 28 (8,542 Views)

c4780 wireless issues

Alright ive been reading and researching and cant seem to find the answer. I have a c4780 all in one that is having issues staying connected to my wireless network.  I had the same issue with my previous printer the hp c4599 and was replaced with this one.  It prints fine over wireless when the printer is first turned on.  But stops responding after a few hours after going to sleep.  Any ideas? As this is getting quite annoying  having to keep turning on and off all the time.  Now the printer is connected to my desktop using usb and my laptop wireless.  Works great and no issue with desktop.  Also both machines are running vista home premium 64 bit.  ive tried everything i can think of and suggestions for other similar printers to no avail.  Before there supposedly was a firmware upgrade for my old c4599 printer but couldnt get it to install so hp just replaced it. Here we are again with same problem but no firmware for this model.  Sorry for the rant but this is wearing me thin trying to get this to work right. Thanks

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 28 (8,529 Views)

Re: c4780 wireless issues

When it is offline, print a Network COnfig page and see if it has an IP address or is indeed not connected.

Have you tried reserving an IP address for it or setting a static IP address for it in your router?  This has helped many people in the past with similar issues. 

I am employed by HP
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 3 of 28 (8,506 Views)

Also, what kind of wireless-router do you have?
Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Tutor
lvrkight6481
Message 4 of 28 (8,487 Views)

yes i have tried a static ip address and that does not work.  and when i print the network config page it has no ip address listed as shows it as disconnected.  i have an asus wl500w router running ddwrt firmware.  The router does show an ip address for the printer though in the stasus section. So im confused to what the problem is. 
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 5 of 28 (8,471 Views)

Print the network configuration page.  The second page of the report will list the wireless networks in your area.  Please reply back with the SSID, channel number and RSSI (received signal strength) of the wireless networks detected.  Also tell me which network is yours.
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Tutor
lvrkight6481
Message 6 of 28 (8,436 Views)

As SOON AS I GET HOME I WILL PRINT AND POST MY FINDINGS THANKS 
Tutor
lvrkight6481
Message 7 of 28 (8,426 Views)

Tutor
lvrkight6481
Message 8 of 28 (8,424 Views)

my network is kight at the top. THanks
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 9 of 28 (8,372 Views)

It appears you're running on the best channel possible.   There are only three non-overlapping channels (1, 6, 11) and it's better to share a channel than try to fit in between 1, 6 and 11.  Your neighbors on channel 6 and 11 are being interfered by a relatively high power jammer from mbonet on channel 8 and you're lucky that the 2WIRE771 jammer is pretty weak.

Does the problem occur after the laptop is turned off or if the laptop goes to sleep?

Can you access the printer's internal web page by browsing to it's IP address when you have trouble printing? 

Honor Student
KevIncognito
Message 10 of 28 (8,282 Views)

Same issue here... also using DD-WRT.

While the printer was offline and not printing, I printed out a Wireless Netowkr Test Report, and found no problems. Everything past and was very good. The printer reported an IP address.

Trying to navigate to the printer's web diagnostics fails, it is not accessible. I also cannot ping the printer. I rebooted the router, and the printer printed my queue.......

Now... why won't it stay online?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation