Question

Honor Student
relaxinnsav
Message 1 of 6 (2,763 Views)

can a desk use wireless and wired internet at the same time

I have a desktop that was connected to a wireless router(linksys WRT54G) using an ethernet direct connection. I then installed a wireless card to my computer and use the internet wirelessly. However I have moved the computer to a new location in my house that has an ethernet connection which is hard wired to the router. I can use the desk top from there wirelessly, but as signal is low the speed is slow. I have tried connecting the desktop to the router using the hard wire connection but for some reason I can not connect to the internet. Please inform me how I can use the ethernet connection without having to remove the wireless card. Thank you
Intern
Junins
Message 2 of 6 (2,745 Views)

Re: can a desk use wireless and wired internet at the same time

hi,

for networking, it's recommended to use one type of connection at a time. that is to avoid conflicts. if your computer is wirelessly connected to your network, disconnect from it first before trying to check on the LAN (wired) connection. Try to release and renew the IP address of the LAN to check if it will connect to the internet.

regards,

Junina

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 3 of 6 (2,732 Views)

At any given point of time, you can either use the Wired network conn., OR the wireless conn., but not both at the same time. You can, however, use a USB connection, and ONE of the network connections at the same time.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
relaxinnsav
Message 4 of 6 (2,717 Views)

Thank you
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 5 of 6 (2,711 Views)

Hi Kiran,

I request you to mark the most helpful post as the Solution so that other users with the same issue can benefit from this thread.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
relaxinnsav
Message 6 of 6 (2,700 Views)

Releasind a new IP helped. Thank you.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation