Question

Honor Student
hunbmt
Message 1 of 4 (1,176 Views)

can't print even if printer is connected and "ready"

Hi,  I have a HP6500 wireless and it was working fine until yesterday.  First it kept losing connection, then worked after being reset and now even if it say online and ready, there is a document in queue which I tried to cancel since it wasn't printing.  Status says deleting but it's been 8 hours now.  Unable to print since then.  Checked network configuration page and it says it's connected, strong signal.  I have tried restarting the computer but when I check control panel, that document is still there and apparently preventing further documents from being printed.  Any ideas, help!    Thanks in advance.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 4 (1,175 Views)

Re: can't print even if printer is connected and "ready"

I assume you are using Windows?   What version?  Is this a laptop?

Double click the printer in Control Panel > Printers, go to File > Delete All Print Jobs

Tell me about your network - router brand/model, encryption type (WEP, WPA, etc) and ISP type (DSL, Cable, etc).

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
hunbmt
Message 3 of 4 (1,174 Views)

I am using Windows Vista Premium 32 bit.  I am not using a laptop.  Using LinksysWRT3N, SPA, broadband.  I already tried going to the control panel and and choosing cancel all print jobs. It just says deleting but nothing happens.  Went back now and tried to look for File>delete all print jobs, couldn't find one.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 4 (1,170 Views)

A reboot of your computer may finish the deleting.  Then, delete the printer in the list.

I can't find you router with a Google search.  Is it a Linksys WRT300N?  Whatever it is, does it have the latest firmware?

Next, we need to set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. Use 192.168.1.200
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank. Click 'Apply'

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.  Do it this way:

1. Make sure the printer is turned on and connected to your network. Verify that you can access the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address before continuing.
2. Click >> Start >> Control panel >> Printers.
3. Click the Add a printer
4. Select Local printer
5. Select Create a new port and select Standard TCP/IP Port and click Next button.
6. Under Device type, select TCP/IP Device. Under Hostname or IP address, IP address (192.168.1.200).
7. Select Hewlett-Packard from the list of manufacturers and select and select your printer model. Click Next.
If your printer model was not listed, then select Have Disk, browse the HP CD that came with your printer and select the first file that starts with hp and ends with inf. Click Open then OK. Select your printer model. Click Next.
8. If you are asked, use the currently installed driver.
9. It will ask for the Printer name -- enter a new name or use the existing one. This will be the name of the printer that you select from other applications.
10. You may be asked to share the printer. Make a choice and click Next.
11. The Print Test Page box appears. Go ahead and print it.
12. Click Finish.

Finally, this utility will help a lot.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation