04-25-2012 05:20 PM
I have a Dell laptop with Windows 7 64bit operating system and an HP Officejet 6500 wirelless printer. My computer shows the printer being offline, even though it's online and working, but my computer doesn't seem to recognize that. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and updated the printer software, I have reinstalled the printer on the computer - it worked for one day! Now back to square one. I have newly set up the printer (wireless set up) and it all seems to be working right, except the communication between my computer and the printer - any help?
04-26-2012 03:51 PM - edited 04-26-2012 03:54 PM
I hope you aer doing well and sorry to learn tha you are having this issue;
Let's make sure that the printer have the latest firmware GO HERE.
Does you printer have an static IP Address?
Set one if it does not. let's set a static IP address for the printer:
- Print a Network Configuration Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. The IP address outside the range that the router automatically uses to lease the Addresses (called the DHCP range). To know your DHCP range consult with your router manual or in the case that the router is provided by the ISP Internet Service Provider you need to talk to them to find it.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Use Google public DNS Servers which are 184.108.40.206 for the first DNS and 220.127.116.11 for the second.
- Click 'Apply'.
Use this tool GO HERE (I am not certain that the tool works with your printer but is worth a try) and update the thread (post again) if the tool find any errors that you cannot fix.
Hope this helps and do not hesitate to post again in case that this does not help. I will do my best to assist you.
04-27-2012 04:17 AM
I believe all you need to do is just reload the driver. Since it's been almost a year I'd go to the manufacturer's web site and check for latest drivers. There's very likely a more current driver than what your printer software CD has on it.
Then do a manual load of the printer (go to printers, click the "add a printer", when it comes to the driver page say "have disk", and then your C drive where you just loaded your new driver to will be the location of the driver).
Life is too serious to be taken seriously
11-29-2013 10:18 AM
I have a HP Photosmart 5510 wireless and my computer tells me the printer is offline, which it isn't. I have turned both off and restarted everything but I still get the same message. Anyone has the same problem?
12-02-2013 10:56 AM
I understand the computer isn't recognizing the printer.
I would power cycle the router and try printing again.
I have included a document for issues for not maintaining a wireless connection. It would be a good idea to setup a static ip also. Solution two: Assign the printer a static IP address
If you need more assistance just let me know.