Question

Student
Message 1 of 2 (354 Views)

connecting printer to different networks

Hello Everyone!

I'm at a total loss and all my devices are working hard to drive me off into the deep-end! 

I just bought a HP e6100 series printer (which so far I really like). My question is that I'd like to be able to utilize two wireless networks. Hers's where it gets complicated. I use this in my van/office. I use a normal wireless router at home & everything works properly including the iPhone apps. I also use the iPhone 4 for my wireless network using it as a hotspot and tether it to my laptop. When I try to do this I have to use a USB cable to perform print jobs.

The BIG QUESTION: Can my e6100 printer use more than one wireless network like my PC does? In other words, can i use my iPhone for a wireless network? Will the printer then use my home wireless network after I've shut the iPhone tethering function off? Thank you in advance for any help!

Regards,

Gr8wt (Bruce)  

Regents Professor
Message 2 of 2 (323 Views)

Re: connecting printer to different networks

Great WT, short answer here is, no, your printer cannot function on more than one network at a time. It is bound by the same limitations as other devices which can only attach themselves to a single network at a time. It does not remember multiple networks at a time to switch between, though by running the wireless setup wizard you can connect to another network easily enough. 

However, it is worth noting that your phone uses a wireless hot spot, not a network. While you can connect and access the internet through multiple devices that way, it does not provide a stable network framework for cross-platform communication. 

I hope this information is what you are looking for. 

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation