03-19-2013 01:05 PM
I'm at a total loss and all my devices are working hard to drive me off into the deep-end!
I just bought a HP e6100 series printer (which so far I really like). My question is that I'd like to be able to utilize two wireless networks. Hers's where it gets complicated. I use this in my van/office. I use a normal wireless router at home & everything works properly including the iPhone apps. I also use the iPhone 4 for my wireless network using it as a hotspot and tether it to my laptop. When I try to do this I have to use a USB cable to perform print jobs.
The BIG QUESTION: Can my e6100 printer use more than one wireless network like my PC does? In other words, can i use my iPhone for a wireless network? Will the printer then use my home wireless network after I've shut the iPhone tethering function off? Thank you in advance for any help!
03-20-2013 02:05 PM
Great WT, short answer here is, no, your printer cannot function on more than one network at a time. It is bound by the same limitations as other devices which can only attach themselves to a single network at a time. It does not remember multiple networks at a time to switch between, though by running the wireless setup wizard you can connect to another network easily enough.
However, it is worth noting that your phone uses a wireless hot spot, not a network. While you can connect and access the internet through multiple devices that way, it does not provide a stable network framework for cross-platform communication.
I hope this information is what you are looking for.
Have a great day!
- HP Printers - Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection
- HP Web-Connected Printers and Supported Cloud Services for HP Printers
- HP LaserJet Printers - 'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the HP Printer Will Not Print
- Setting Up the Printer for a Wireless Network for the HP LaserJet Pro P1102w Printer
- HP Single-Function and Multi-Function Printers - How to Find the WEP or WPA Key or Password for Your Wireless Network