Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a deskjet 3054 all-in-one.  I have a Mac with latest OS (Mavericks) and with just adding FiOS, I have a new router. I have found instructions on this site suggesting I follow the on-screen instructions on the printer, but:

1) the PIN:  I couldn't figure out where to enter the PIN that appears on printer's screen, so I gave up. 

2) the WPS button: the router has one, but pushing it during the 2-minute countdown on the printer wifi setup process does nothing. 

What do I try next? I cannot install the printer as a "wifi" printer on my laptop because it's not in the wifi. 

I re-installed the printer via USB connection to my laptop since I couldn't add printer to wireless network. It's listed as "Deskjet 3050 j610 series" on my Mac, in case that's relevant; and my FiOS router is model "MI424WR" if that helps - it does have a WPS button on the front.

Thanks for any help.

(I edited this post for clarity 11:30am eastern US time)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Mark_macuser,

I see that you are still having issues setting up the printer on the wireless network.

I have provided instructions for setting up the printer by adhoc and then configuring over to infrastructure, so it will be on your network.

Restore the network defaults on the printer by pushing the wireless button, going to settings, and then restore defaults. The wireless button should then start flashing, this means it is now in auto-wireless mode.

Click the Airport top right corner on the Mac.
Click on the HP printer from the list. (you won't be on the internet till this procedure is finished)

It is usually HP-setup-3050a and then part of the MAC address. The wireless light will still be flashing on the printer at this point, this is normal since this is not an actual adhoc connection.

Open the web browser and type in 192.168.223.1.

This will open the printer's network page.

Go to the network tab along the top of the EWS.

Click on Wireless Setup Wizard along the left hand side to begin configuring the printer.

Apply your settings.

You have now completed the Wireless configuration.

Click the Airport top right corner on the Mac and select your network.

Click on the Apple.
Click system preferences, click the printers and scanners icon, then click the + sign, then select the printer from the list, make sure the printer listed beside use: shows proper the printer name and not Airprint,(Airprint is a preinstalled apple driver with basic functionality) click on the add button. You might have to click on the dropdown to select your printer.

Test the printer.

Let me know how this goes for you!

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi Mark_macuser,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience!

I understand you are unable to setup the printer on the wireless network on the 10.9.

I will be happy to help you.

Since there isn't a full driver for the 10.9 you will have to configure the wireless through either the WPS setup or setup the printer on another computer first with the full drivers available. Then all you have to do is add the printer on the Mac once it has the valid IP address.

I would restore the printer defaults.

Go to setup, wireless, settings, restore defaults.

Restart the router.

Then select setup, wireless, settings, WPS and select Push Button.

Immediately press the WPS button on the router.

The other computer that you have, is it hardwired to the router?

If it is, then install and setup the printer on the network on that computer first.

Installing the Printer Software for a Wireless Network Connection.

Here is the link for installing the printer on Maverick after being configured on the network already.

OS X v10.9 Mavericks: Installing and Using the Printer on a Mac.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.
Have a nice day!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks Gemini,

I followed through your instructions; I reset the wireless settings on the printer, and then restarted the router. Then I used the WPS pushbutton method. Failure.

Neither my computer or my printer is hard-wired to the router. Please tell me if I should try that. To be clear, my computer has the printer installed for a USB connection, but I want it to work on wifi of course.

I followed your first link, Installing the Printer Software for a Wireless Network Connection.

Method 1: "The printer must already be connected to the wireless network to download and install the software." well that is the very problem I am having, so that won't work.

Method 2: Connect using WPS.

a) Pushbutton: This is what I tried, as mentioned at top; printer failed to detect.

b) PIN: the help page says follow on-screen instructions; the printer shows the PIN.

Where do I enter that?

Your second link was about connecting to printer after it is installed on network, so I will use that later, after I have gotten the printer onto the network.

Still, I have no wireless printer on the network yet. I am stumped. It seems like the pushbutton method is my only choice, but it is not working. Please suggest something else I can try?

NOTE: there is a lot of discussion of Mavericks in here, but the OS isn't on the printer or the router, so I'm not sure why this relates to my computer at all. If you think I am missing some step on the computer that can be used to configure the printer for Wifi, please let me know.

THANKS!

HP Recommended

Don't use WPS to connect your printer, in fact it should be disabled in the router.  Follow the instructions to connect via infrastructure mode and connect manually.  Now try.

HP Recommended

Thanks Sabretooth. I see that the help page Installing the Printer Software for a Wireless Network Connection

mentions that Infrastructure network is recommended. So I am following those instructions, but I do not see what "connect manually" means - sorry. 

That page says use WPS or the other method, which requires the printer already be connected to the network. 

There may be something really basic I am missing. Most of these pages are about connecting my computer to the printer. What I cannot seem to accomplish is to get my printer connected to WiFi. So, I like the sound of what you recommended, but is there a more detailed set of instructions I could follow?

Thanks again for your patience.

HP Recommended

Follow the manual for Traditional Wireless connction (manual) page 36.    The USB cable should be UNPLUGGED and only plugged in when asked during the setup. 

User Guide is here.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5109847

HP Recommended

I tried that and I'm getting a repeated crashing of the setup after the printer is installed, and when it connects to the printer to get settings for post-installation.

I understand that WPS isn't ideal, in fact it may not even be supported by my router at this time, I don't know.

Because this was working fine on the same OS and computer, just with a different Verizon router, I think I will try calling Verizon. Maybe I'm needlessly bothering people here with something that is Verizon's fault. If I find an answer from them I will post it here.

Thanks to Gemini and Sabretooth for helping out.

HP Recommended

When in doubt, start over.  Power off everything.  Power on router wait 3 mins.  Power on printer.  Power on PC.  Uninstall the software and reinstall again.  Now try.

HP Recommended

Resolution:  none - there must be a basic incompatibility with this printer model and my Verizon FiOS router. I must use the USB connector when I want to print. It feels so 10 years ago, but there it is.

I called Verizon and they basically said that the WPS was not supported with this router's firmware.  Verizon referred me to HP to connect the printer to the WiFi network.  The HP instructions and you generous responders here mention three options: 1) WPS which turns out is disabled, and 2) there isn't a way I can find to enter a PIN number (surely this must be in the router configuration somewhere, but Verizon couldn't help me find it, and referred me back to HP), and 3) the manual option keeps crashing on install.   I wanted to thank Sabretooth and others for your help though!

HP Recommended

Hi Mark_macuser,

I see that you are still having issues setting up the printer on the wireless network.

I have provided instructions for setting up the printer by adhoc and then configuring over to infrastructure, so it will be on your network.

Restore the network defaults on the printer by pushing the wireless button, going to settings, and then restore defaults. The wireless button should then start flashing, this means it is now in auto-wireless mode.

Click the Airport top right corner on the Mac.
Click on the HP printer from the list. (you won't be on the internet till this procedure is finished)

It is usually HP-setup-3050a and then part of the MAC address. The wireless light will still be flashing on the printer at this point, this is normal since this is not an actual adhoc connection.

Open the web browser and type in 192.168.223.1.

This will open the printer's network page.

Go to the network tab along the top of the EWS.

Click on Wireless Setup Wizard along the left hand side to begin configuring the printer.

Apply your settings.

You have now completed the Wireless configuration.

Click the Airport top right corner on the Mac and select your network.

Click on the Apple.
Click system preferences, click the printers and scanners icon, then click the + sign, then select the printer from the list, make sure the printer listed beside use: shows proper the printer name and not Airprint,(Airprint is a preinstalled apple driver with basic functionality) click on the add button. You might have to click on the dropdown to select your printer.

Test the printer.

Let me know how this goes for you!

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.