deskjet 6840 series (115 Views)
Honor Student
dannyflores
Message 1 of 3 (115 Views)

deskjet 6840 series

I have been using HP Deskjet 6840 thru USB connection. Last year I bought iMac and Time Capsule and installed the printer again thru USB connection. Now I would like to use it wirelessly; I tried installing it thru the CD installer (bought in 2004) but there is always an error. What must I do to install it correctly? I am now using OS X Mountain Lion.

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 2 of 3 (89 Views)

Re: deskjet 6840 series

[ Edited ]

Hey dannyflores,

There is a document, provided by HP, with the steps for connecting the Deskjet 6840 series printer to a Mac OS X Mountain Lion PC.  The document can be found by clicking here, however I will also provide the install steps below from the document.

**Make sure the printer is connected to the Time Capsule via a USB cable prior to following steps below.

Step one: Update your Mac software with Apple Software Update

Important : Before you install your printer, run Software Update to make sure that the database your Mac uses to find available printer software is current.
  1. Click the Apple menu ( ), and then click Software Update . Software Update checks for available updates and updates the database that your Mac uses to determine available printer software.
  2. Click Install . Apple Software Update installs updates on your computer.
Step two: Install the printer

1. Turn on the printer, and then make sure that it has paper in the tray and that it is in a ready state.
  2. Make sure that the printer is connected to the wired or wireless network, or is connected to the USB port of a Time Capsule or AirPort Base Station.
  3. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences .
  4. Click Print & Scan , and then click the plus sign ( ) in the lower left corner of the window.
  5. Under Nearby Printers , click the name of your printer.
    NOTE:If your printer is not listed, click Add Printer or Scanner for a full list of printers.
  6. Under Name , click the name of your printer.
    NOTE:Make sure that the printer kind is Bonjour or Bonjour Multifunction .
  7. Click the Use box, and then select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu.
  8. Click Add to add the printer to the queue.
  9. If you are prompted to install any additional software for your printer, click Install , and then follow the instructions to complete the installation.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Honor Student
dannyflores
Message 3 of 3 (78 Views)

Re: deskjet 6840 series

Thank you for the support, I followed step by step your instructions. it is now connected through USB; however, I still could'nt  connect wirelessly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation