driver for wireless printing upgrade kit compatible with windows 7 (29421 Views)
Honor Student
ashbee
Message 1 of 71 (29,421 Views)
Accepted Solution

driver for wireless printing upgrade kit compatible with windows 7

I just upgraded to windows 7 and I cannot find a driver to install for my wireless printing upgrade kit.  Does anyone know if one will be created?  I just purchased the kit in the last year and I'd hate to go back to bringing my laptop upstairs every time I need to print.
Honor Student
Montybug
Message 2 of 71 (29,404 Views)

Re: driver for wireless printing upgrade kit compatible with windows 7

I have the same problem. Upgrade to Windows 7 and the supplied Driver/Software disk that I got with my wireless kit does not work Hangs on install at 90% on the top bar and 10% at the bottom bar. I went to the product page and the downloadable software there says it's compatible with Win 7, but when I download and install it seem to only be the Universal Driver rather than the wireless kit software.

Top Student
smcgirr
Message 3 of 71 (29,128 Views)

Chaps,

I registered to let you know I've been having dialog with HP over Windows 7 drivers for this. Today, I got the news that no driver would be developed for Windows 7. What I was told was:

"This model of Wireless upgrade kit is not in contention of development to work with Windows 7. The drivers will not be released for this product. We got this update very recently. In the progression of Wireless upgrade kits the Q6236A has lost its favor with the developers. I have no details on what the reasons could be. However, we ascertain there must be technical difficulties and limitations to this product.
Steven, I realize the importance of the issue and I regret I can do no more to install the kit on a Windows 7 machine."

So not good. I've asked what my options are and awaiting to hear back, maybe HP do similair hardware that they will support.

Although, saying this, I *have* had it working on a Windows 7 machine by using compatability mode. I've struggled on other Windows 7 machines so it may be fluke but I will try again and if I can get it installed successfully, I'll let you know how.

Cheers,

Steven

Top Student
smcgirr
Message 4 of 71 (29,147 Views)

I've tried had to get the kit to install on Windows 7 with no joy.

I think the Windows 7 machine it does work on was one that was upgraded from Vista. I guess though that the end result is that the software does run on Windows 7 just won't install. Disappointed the developers have given up on this and that HP have ceased future support for it.

If anyone can find a workaround for this I would be very happy to hear!

I'll keep in tough with this thread.

Steven

Intern
Bally
Message 5 of 71 (28,952 Views)

Hi @ll,

I have just created a work around to install the driver correctly on a Windows 7 machine, done these steps on two machines and it works perfectly.

Just follow the following steps. Unfortunately I can't attach files here as I had created an Office document with screenshots to make it easier to follow. If you would like to have the document, please drop me a note to send it to you.

In order to install the HP Wireless Printing Upgrade Kit in Windows 7 please do the following.

1. Download and install the HP Wireless Printing Upgrade Basic Software/Drivers (Computer Purchased with Windows Vista Operating System)

2. When the installation reaches 90% on the top bar and 10% at the bottom bar it will hang.

3. Don’t panic. :smileytongue:

4. Right mouse click on the taskbar and start the Task Manager.

5. Select the Wireless Printing upgrade kit in the Applications tab and right mouse click it and select Go to Process.

6. Stop the process called Setupwizard.exe

7. You will get the following pop-up mentioning that the program probably was not correctly installed and that you have two choices to select from: Reinstall with recommended settings and This program is correctly installed.

8. Choose to reinstall the program and Windows 7 will pop-up the permission request.

9. After allowing, the installation files will be extracted again.

10. You will see the Welcome screen again.

11. Click on install, select I agree, Next.

12. It will find your printer adapter showing the device connected to it.

13. Click on Next and the installation continues.

14. At the end of the installation an HTML page is launched saying: You need to install the printer software before you can use your printer.

15. After that just right mouse click on the connection manager at the taskbar, select Connect and the Plug and Play will install the printer driver as if the printer was directly connected to the PC.  

If the P&P doesn’t find the driver or does not kick in you can try with Windows update, if the driver is there it will be installed, otherwise use the CD you might have.

16. Start e.g. Microsoft Office Word 2007 and send a print job and from the drop down menu you can select the printer which was installed.

17. Scanning also works I used Microsoft Office Document Imaging to scan from the PSC 2210.

Student
TonyC2732
Message 6 of 71 (28,902 Views)

Bally, thanks your information was very helpful. I followed your instructions and it worked. Kudos
Top Student
smcgirr
Message 7 of 71 (28,870 Views)

Ok but when step 7 doesn't work for me, ie when ending task no windows 7 popup, what can I do?
Intern
Bally
Message 8 of 71 (28,864 Views)

[ Edited ]

@ TonyC2732, good to see that it also worked for you.

@ Smcgirr, did you disabled UAC which is the User Access Control that enhances the security of your system? If you did so, please enable it again so that you get the pop-up.

When you tried to install it the first time, did you get the pop-up or not?

If you did not see it the first time then UAC is disabled on your machine.

Windows 7 just like Vista has the habit each time an application is installed or whenever an important system change is made by the user or by a running process, the screen is blacked out and temporarily disabled and a dialog is shown with the choices to allow or deny the action. Some people don’t like that and disable this behavior.

If that is not the case then check if the HP Wireless Printing Upgrade appears in your installed program list or in All Programs, check if you can uninstall it first, reboot, and try again.

Not getting this pop-up the application might think that it is already correctly installed. You might want to check also the registry if these exists:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HP\HP Wireless Adapter
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HP\HP Wireless Printer Adapter
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HP MFP Utility

If so, delete them, reboot and do the steps again.

Message Edited by Bally on 11-29-2009 03:31 PM
Message Edited by Bally on 11-29-2009 03:33 PM
Top Student
smcgirr
Message 9 of 71 (28,855 Views)

Bally,

Kudos for trying to assist. What I think it was, was that I was trying to install from an extracted copy of the COL19877.exe file.

I've started from using the COL19877.exe file iteself and got the popup to reinstall using recommended settings.

Running through it now so I'll report back success ro failure!

Top Student
smcgirr
Message 10 of 71 (28,678 Views)

Superstar. Worked good on the frist laptop. Now to get the second working.

Have a kiss x

lol

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation